Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Replacing a bit of joist
  • northernmatt

Finally getting around to replacing the rotten bits of floor in the spare room dumping ground. I’ve pulled two joist out which were very rotten. They are easy to replace as they only run 6ft up to an old hearth. The third one on the other side of the room runs the full length but I don’t want to pull the whole floor up to replace it, ideally all I want to do is cut off the rotten bit plus some extra and replace with new (about 4ft tops).

The only thing is it’s against a wall so I won’t be able to get bolts and plates on both sides of it to fix together so what are my options? Picture for clarity(ish), it’s the furthest one.

wrightyson
    Free Member

First question, why are they rotten?

project
    Free Member

best to lift whole or part of floor to check for more rot, and as above why has it rotted

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    northernmatt

Floor was rotten as there was a built up flower bed outside which I have now removed. The wall on the edge of the photo is and external one. The bed was trapping water against the house, a blocked airbrick didn’t help either. The rest of the floor is sound.

I am thinking about replacing all the joists at this end of the room, they don’t look as though there is any rot present but I’d rather do it now while I have the floor up. The opposite corner to this one was much worse, the whole floor had sagged by about 2-3 inches.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As long as you know for sure you’ve sorted the issue, I’d leave it in place, and batten another joist alongside.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry I just assumed spare room and upstairs. What I don’t understand is what is the material under the joists? I just assumed that was the u/s of the plaster board below.

northernmatt

It’s just loose earth type stuff. House is late Victorian single storey terrace. Joists are packed out with slate.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Are they packed in the middle of the span? I presume they are as they’re only 4×2’s. If so I’d bear onto that and then chop out a hole this side of the existing joist. Let it in 4″ then fix at say 300 centres with a 4″ size 6 screw. It’s a bit of a bodge but will do no problem.

northernmatt

They will probably be packed further down. The room is about 18ft long. Your method will involve lifting more floor. I was hoping for an easier way!

the-muffin-man

I was hoping for an easier way!

Wedge plenty of bricks under the joists – cover back up. Then move house!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a bit of joist’ is closed to new replies.