Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • replacing 8 spd Shimano with Deore 10 spd?
  • ElShalimo

thinking about replacing my wife’s 8 spd Altus & Acera groupset with 10 spd as Ribble are selling 10 spd Deore for £146 (it needs new chain, cassette & rear mech anyway)
    I think that Shimano 8, 9 and 10 spd are fully compatible. Is that correct?

What do I need to be wary of if replacing 8 spd with 10 spd?
    Thanks

ElShalimo

Morning bump

coatesy
    Free Member

You’ll probably need 10sp compatible rings (may be as cheap to buy a chainset), and shifting will probably be better with a 10sp front mech too. I was in a similar situation a while back, and chose 9sp as I couldn’t get my head around paying nearly twice the price for a similar chain with the 10sp tag, and really didn’t need the option of either closer ratios or lower gears(I now have a 32t spoke guard). When you weigh up long term costs, and her requirements, it may be also be a viable option for her too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ElShalimo

Thanks
    The £146 deal at Ribble is a full groupset (no brakes) but seems to be so cheap when compared to just replacing a few 8 spd parts.

gonzy
    Free Member

i did this a few months ago. you should be fine as most of the stuff is compatible…the only thing being 10sp is dyna-sys so the cable pull ratios are different to 8/9sp so you will have to use a 10sp rear mech and shifter together.
    the 10sp cassette will fit onto the existing hub. you can get away with using an older crankset if you had to as the internal width of shimano chains is the same (its only the outer width that is different), so using 8 or 9sp front rings wont be an issue. also the BCD is the same for all shimano cranks so newer rings can be used on older cranks…but this may depend on whether the current cranks have removable rings…as i recall some of the older lower spec shimano cranks dont always have removable rings….but seeing as you’re getting the full groupset minus brakes then you might as well fit the whole lot.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If it is a complete groupset then it should be fine. The only issue I can think of could be the rear wheel. Is it 8 speed cassette or freewheel? If it cassette then the 10 speed will fit on the wheel fine.

eltonerino

I have a worn out Acera/Altus group set as well.

The chain rings are pinned to the crank set.

(Thanks for the heads-up, might have to go for this.)

martymac

ta for the heads up, my mate is probably gonna go for one of those.

ElShalimo

Thanks to all

Mister P – the existing set-up is a shimano fhm65L hub and a HG40 cassette.
    The full groupset with shifters is probably easier to replace and cheaper to maintain in the long run.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That is cool then, just stick the whole groupset on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘replacing 8 spd Shimano with Deore 10 spd?’ is closed to new replies.