Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • replacement wheel for Genesis Day One Cross (v-brake)
  • mjp23
    Free Member

Any suggestions for a replacement wheel for a 2012 Day One Cross – with v brakes?

This thread suggested using a standard hub and single speed converter, http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75357#p658850, which is what Genesis are doing with this years model?

Will hubs like this work and give a good chainline on the older models. Could the hex box fixings been retro fitted to the new replacement hub?

Previous thread suggested that the stock hubs are decent but the supplied freewheel won’t budge making a rebuild difficult and the shimano freewheel on the other side needs replacing so substituting for standard-ish would seem to be a good long term option.

mjp23
    Free Member

There was this nearly year ago but it didn’t seem to come to a conclusion.

I have asked Genesis for suggestions but getting nothing – back. Nice bikes – terrible after sales support.

TiRed

I run my Genesis Alfine io id (135 mm) singespeed with a standard Hope hub and QR, two sprockets and spacers. Since it has rear facing bolts to hold the wheel under tension, the QR doesn’t need to be tightened. It is of course, and wheel slip with a decent QR won’t be a problem.

So how about Stans Iron cross on Hope hubs? Or something lighter.

mjp23
    Free Member

Thanks @Tired.

I assume using a standarf 135mm hub will allow for both the rim to be central in the frame and a good chainline?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’m using set of these on mine http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/charlies-fixed-single-speed-track-wheels-front-rearpairs-1957-p.asp for the money they are an absolute steal.

Using 28mm tyres, but wouldn’t really want to go much bigger. I’ve also used my hope pro3/open pro wheels on it with chain tugs to no ill effect.

tthew

If you end up going down the hand-built route, I have a lovely set of Surly Ultra New hubs that came off my smashed up DayOne. Original classifieds ad here. If the pic doesn’t work, (it’s not for me, probabaly a work computer thing) e-mail me and I’ll send it on.

I ran them with Mavic Open Sport rims, which made a nice wheelset at a sensible price.

Nice bikes – terrible after sales support.

+1. I’ve e-mail’d them a few times in the past with queries. Nada.

mjp23
    Free Member

@wanmankylung – no issues with 130mm hub in a 135mm spaced frame? – they look great – but I like 35mm tyres and even they were scary at points this winter.

@tthew – cheers – bit more than I was looking at – am still tempted with the Surly Ultra Mountain FlipFlop hubs, £65 new, but if I get more live out of a standard hub with cog and spacers rather than a singlespeed hub and a £25+ Shimano freewheel I might go that route as everyone seems comfortable that it will work even with a QR

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Nope – no issues whatsoever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘replacement wheel for Genesis Day One Cross (v-brake)’ is closed to new replies.