Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replacement rear wheel for track dropouts that can fit belt drive
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a Revolution Belter commuter bike.
    It has a gates belt drive and track single speed dropouts, i.e. you pull the wheel out backwards.

The current rear wheel has track nuts to secure it, the front is QR.

I was told that the rear wheel is spaced for a cassette.

The current wheels are very heavy, I’d like to swap them out for something lighter, like a set of Aksiums or R500s.

But would the QR hold them?

Or can I use track wheels?

simon1975

You’ve got 3 issues. Spacing, sprocket mounting and wheel security in the dropouts.

Spacing

I suspect your bike is spaced at either 130 or 135mm wide at the back. I might be wrong but that’ll be too wide for track rear hubs which are 120mm.

Sprocket mounting

It sounds like your drive sprocket sits on a freehub. Shimano-pattern splines? Lots of hub choices for you if so. Again, this will rule out track hubs which are threaded for screw-on sprockets.

Wheel security

A QR hub will work but you’ll almost certainly need a chain-tug to stop the wheel pulling forward under power eg. http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSOOCT/on-one-chaintug Or choose a hub with threaded axle for tracknuts (but you might need a chaintug anyway)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Do you get wheels with threaded axles that take cassettes?

That chain tug looks like it would do the business though – seems that tension is very very important with the belt drives.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Sorry, my mistake

simon1975

Do you get wheels with threaded axles that take cassettes?

Shimano hubs are threaded and you can easily replace the axle with a longer one for bolt-up. Lots of low-end hubs are bolt-up (kids bikes etc).

If you want something posher look at Hope’s or Chris King’s hubs which are threaded inside the axle to take a screw (“Fun-bolts”). DMR’s Revolver does the same nowadays. Some Trials hubs are the same, but probably not with the right freehub for you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Replacement rear wheel for track dropouts that can fit belt drive’ is closed to new replies.