Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replacement keys for VAG group car.
  • jam-bo

54 plate passat.
    One key which got temporarily list earlier this week.

I’m assuming it’ll be cheaper to buy a new car than to get one from a main dealer, so what’s the most cost effective way of getting a second key/alarm remote sorted.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Speak to a key cutting place, some can code a key form your old one.

Failing that, it’ll be a couple of hundred quid from a dealer for a new key 😯

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I added remote central locking to my Fiances Polo – a used remote key was about £15, including a blank blade, cuting was about £20 but it was right on my doorstep, could have got it cheaper if I’d shopped around. A blank transponder chip was about a tenner. Provided you have at least one working key you can program a blank transponder by having the new key in the door while you start the engine with the old one (or something along those lines).

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Go around and ask your neighbours?

tomd
    Free Member

I had to replace the key on a 54 VW T5 a few years back. The only place i could get it was through a main dealer. From memory the physical key was something like £120 and it was £60 to program it in, so £200ish.

ononeorange

I have just been quoted £80 by my friendly independent and £144 by the main dealer for VAG. Unfortunately, the friendly independent is a way away and will need both keys, rendering it somewhat difficult to collect the car in the evening.

IHN

I had a mobile locksmith and cut two keys for my 54 plate T5. If you can do without the remote, is you’re capable of putting a key in a lock and turning it, it’s about 60 quid a key. Remote is about a ton.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

You should be able to key it for less if hunt around ebay. You need two parts: 1) a key blank – ebay £4. Then get this cut to match existing key. I go to Bury St Edmunds market who charge £5 and do a great job. Then you want the electronics. For this buy a second hand key fob off ebay – about £15-20. You need to reprogramme the key fob to match your cars central locking and immobiliser. The lockng is easy: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb0UdmAVmz4[/video]. This site gives info on the immobiliser.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Replacement keys for VAG group car.’ is closed to new replies.