Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replacement jockey wheels on xt/SRAM 11 speed mechs?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Sure i read that the standard jockey wheels provided were specific to narrow wide chain/chainring combo on 11 speed stuff? Is that a load of crap?

I’m through my second set of plastic ones on my xt 11 speed mech so looking get some more that are a little more longer lasting

Is there any reason not to get hope ones on the 11 speed stuff?

Cheers

andysredmini
    Free Member

Just check the hope ones fit. I bought some for my new 11 speed xtr mech and the hope wheels were a lot smaller in diameter than the shimano ones. I ended up taking them back.

GolfChick
    Free Member

SRAM 11 speed read mech x01 has 12 tooth jockey wheels not 11 and yes they’re different to none 11 speed in that they have lumps that fit into the wide sections. Dunno if this will mean the 11 tooth etc won’t work but that’s how they are. I’ve just bought some China jobbies for £12 so less painful a replacement. I do wonder whether the more expensive xx1 jockey wheels will make a difference or not. I’ll wait and see.

vincienup
    Free Member

Standard 11T Jockeys would physically fit SRAM but they’ll compromise performance in retention and running – the 12T jockeys on SRAM are to improve chain wrap.

I’m not sure what Shimano are doing with this. I just went for a quick google and they seem to be using 11T jockeys on M8000, so presumably any old 11T jockey should be ok.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers folks

I didn’t realise the SRAM 11speed ones were different to the shimano 11 speed ones, so as my mech is shimano im assuming then the hopes ones will work ok with the xt 11 speed mech?

vincienup
    Free Member

Should do, but retention may be compromised. Here’s links to pictures of M8000 pulleys and older XT M785 ones. Note the length of the teeth.

M8000 11 speed XT jockeys HERE

XT M786 Shadow Plus jockeys HERE

Hope 11T jockeys HERE

Northwind

I’m going to make a call here; I can’t back it up with evidence but I think the length of those teeth makes absolutely no difference, nor has chain retention on a 10 speed mech (or 9 speed for that matter, or 7 speed as far as I can remember) ever been a problem. Certainly if there’s a difference it’s not one I can detect, shifting/retention is IME absolutely identical between my XT 10 and 11 speed.

SRAM I can’t speak for

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Good comparison vincienup, they do look longer, as Northwind says whether that makes a difference or not is another question, guess they changed the design for a reason though

Guess I’ll just buy another set of the plastic ones then just to be sure, if it’s helps even marginally to keep retention it’s worth it I reckon

Cheers folks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Replacement jockey wheels on xt/SRAM 11 speed mechs?’ is closed to new replies.