Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Replacement jockey wheels?
  • frank4short
    Free Member

Quick question need to replace the jockey wheels on my rear mech. It's an XTR M970. Is there any point replacing them like for like? Or if not can anyone recommend some good replacement ones?

I'm using FSA ceramic bearing jockey wheels in my Rohloff tensioner.
    I reckon they've outlasted the originals three times over, so that makes them worth three times the price.
    I don't know how they compare with Shimano or SRAM though.

Olly
    Free Member

Tacx .
    12 quid a pair, and great:)
    loads cheaper than shimano ones.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Odd, I often see questions about jockey wheels yet I've never changed a pair. I always find that by the time I really should get rid, I might as well replace the whole mech. Worked out well this week as I picked up an OE XTR long cage M971 for £43 from Wiggle.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

bbb ceramic

rp16v
    Free Member

+1 for bbb ceramics plus they come in cool colores

hairyscary

KCNC

rp16v
    Free Member

i no this goes against everything i belive but i want gears just so i can have them!! maby one could go on my comute conversion tentioner lol

0range5

BBB's last ages & are a tenner a set for the 11 tooth ones. Last longer than XTR originals. They have sealed cartridge bearings & I'm on my 2nd set in 4 years. I guess the 1st lasted about 3 years, and the other set's been on for about a year, still no significant wear. If anything they shift better as well.

mattp
    Free Member
    Northwind

BBB are good, I've got a set of those in one of mine. They can clog up a little with mud between the 2 outer shells, but the bearings are very well sealed so if it does happen, you can just clean them out, takes 2 minutes.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

+1 for the BBB's

steve_b77
    Free Member

and another +1 for BBB's way better than shimano crapola ones, had 2 sets in under 12 months on my HT, even the Raceface BB lasted nearly that long!!

knott4me
    Free Member

kcnc but they are noisy little feckers

br
    Free Member

just buy Deore ones, they fit

bomberman
    Free Member

Tacx stainless

grtdkad

Just been thinking about my XTR rear mech – which has got many miles on it. Based on the above there's plenty of choice for replacement jockey wheels. But…

How easy are they to fit?
    Any special tools needed?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Allen key, threadlock, grease.

I just got some LX ones for 2.99 each, and I don't care how long they might last!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Replacement jockey wheels?’ is closed to new replies.