Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • replacement groupset question…
  • scruff9252

After 10 years I think it’s time to replace my 3*9 shimano lx groupset (running 2*9).

I see the trend for 1x groupset and not entirely sure if they would be right for me.

I’m more of a bike packing bimbiler than trail centre endoooooro gnar merchant and planning the WHW, South Lakes 100, and possibly French Divide route for the summer.

Bike is a short travel 29″ full suss and I am fairly smooth spinner and use the 22(or24)*36 more than I ought to admit.

So should I go for the 1x groupset or the old faithful 2x set up? Mildly concerned if I went 1x I’d miss the granny ring on some long laiden hills…

Ta

devash
    Free Member

A full 2X10 Deore groupset can be had for £160 / 170. That’s where I’d be looking.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-deore-610-615-10-speed-transmission-groupset/

scotroutes

Very personal so you’ll get positive responses to both options.

I run both but prefer 2x for bikepacking.

Work out what 1x will give you on a gear calculator then load up your bike and try your favourite hills after a long day sticking to a similar ratio.

sillyoldman

Sounds like 2×11 would be the way to go.

djflexure

Can probably get close to 170 with XT chainset (CRC) and mix of slx/ xt parts (Bird clearance).

here

and here

This is what I would do for bike packing and long days out

km79
    Free Member

I run that 2X10 Deore groupset above (along with the matching brakes) on my bikepacking bike and I have to say I have been very impressed with it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I run 1 x 11 on my Bikepacking bike– a surly krampus, as there’s issues with chain lines running 2x.
    To be fair, if I can’t get up what I’m climbing in the lowest gear, I’ll happily get off and walk..

deviant
    Free Member

The Deore 2×10 groupset would be my choice, all the ratios you could want, cheap and reliable.

garage-dweller

For bikepacking I would think 2*10 or 2*11 might work better (bigger loads and perhaps a more chilled pace?).

I loved my 1*9 setup on the hardtail (the 1*10 replacement is mid fitting this evening) but for long laden hills I am not sure I wouldn’t fancy something twiddlier for an easy life. Otherwise I reckon you need to go to 1* with a 40 or 42 out back (32 front) to get somewhere around the same as 24f/32r combo and with 2* you could presumably get 24/36 which would be usefully lower still.

Disclaimer – I don’t bikepack.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I am very in the 2×10 camp. However no matter how many gears you will be walking parts of the whw 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There is no right or wrong answer. You’re a spinner? well you can spin with a 1X too. With 1X you can get the same range of ratio’s than 2X so no shortage of low end gears and if you’re honest with yourself and answer the question how often on a 2X system are you in the highest gear peddling like crazy I suspect your answer would be “not very often” or “never” (especially with bike packing) so you can achieve an even lower gear by shifting your gear range towards the lower end vs the higher end by choosing a smaller chainring. I’m a convert to 1X now and don’t see how it would be a problem or disadvantage for bike packing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘replacement groupset question…’ is closed to new replies.