Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replacement for Gore Alp-X 2.0 Softshell Jacket?
  • chrispayze
    Free Member

I’ve recently lost a sleeve from my Gore Alp-X 2.0 jacket (they zip off) and Gore don’t sell spare sleeves. 😥

I bloody love that jacket, it seems to keep me the right temperature all the time and fits me closely without being too tight. Wasn’t too thick or sweaty (I run fairly warm) and did me right down to winter temps with just a merino underneath, reasonably water resistant and quick drying too. Crashed in it a few times and it still looked new.

Sadly, Gore don’t make it anymore and the replacement MTB stuff doesn’t have zip-off sleeves (which I ended up using a lot).

Which softshells does everyone else swear by? Give me some recommendations! The Gore Phantom looks good, but it’s a road jacket and sounds like it’s thinker/warmer than the Alp-X, so I’m worried it’ll be too warm and not as hard wearing (which, if I’m spending up to £150 on a jacket, it needs to be right!).

Any info greatly appreciated,

Rgds
    Chris

scotroutes

The Phantom is a lot thicker/warmer than the Alp-X. Not comparable at all. I wouldn’t worry about it being hard wearing though.

I never found the Alp-X to be much more than showerproof.

My favourite soft-shell at the moment is the Polaris AM Enduro. I got one fairly cheap in one of their regular sales, found I was wearing it a lot and then managed to get one even cheaper in another of their regular sales.

Currently £45…. https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/AM-Enduro-softshell-mountain-biking-jacket-p/pol01-5313-p.htm

I’d say it’s between the Alp-X and the Phantom as regards weight and warmth. No zip-off sleeves though.

Endura do a Convert Softshell and a Convert waterproof. I have the latter and find it useful as it can be worn as a gilet on those in-between days. A bit sweaty if you’re riding hard though. No idea what their softshell is like.

chrispayze
    Free Member

Thanks for the Phantom info. Probably too warm for me then. Just been looking at the Endura Convert Softshell. Short of supply at the moment, and sizing seems odd (size guide says I’m a small but reports say it’s a snug fit, and the review says a relaxed fit, go figure!).

Tempted to order one to the Cycle Surgery near my work and see if it fits well… Cheap at £50 at the moment.

thorpedo

There’s an XL for sale in the classifieds at the moment…

chrispayze
    Free Member

Got a medium Endura Convert in the end. Seems nice (not as nice as the Gore though!), will try in in anger when the frost/ice disappears off the roads in the mornings! I’m recovering form a badly broken leg at the moment, so can’t risk it. The metal gets taken out in January though. 🙂

I emailed Gore too. They said their new MTB line doesn’t have a removable sleeve top, but the Alp-X Pro is similar, but with a slimmer fit, so I’d need a large. If I don’t like the Convert, and I’m feeling flush, I’ll give that a go.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Replacement for Gore Alp-X 2.0 Softshell Jacket?’ is closed to new replies.