Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Replacement for Dyson cordless vacuum
  • DrJ

I am increasingly dissatisfied with my Dyson cordless vacuum so I am considering replacing it. It doesn’t run long enough on a single charge (about 6mins) to finish the job, and it seems a bit lacking in power – maybe cordless is just too limiting and I need to accept the nuisance penalty of a cord?

I mostly need it for picking up dust and fluff from a wooden floor, some small areas of carpet, and from furniture. I might have thought about buying another Dyson but after his Brexit antics – f*** that.

Ideas?

DrP

Gtech air ram..
    Ruddy love mine!

DrP

Stoner
    Free Member

buy one of these and tell us if it’s any good:

http://www.gtech.co.uk/cordless-vacuum-cleaners/airram-vacuum-cleaner.html

(DrP – come on, more info sunshine)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I had a look at the gtech air ram before but it doesn’t look like its got a hose or any way to use attachments – how do you do stairs, edges, etc with it?

6 minutes use on a charge, what is the **** point of that? Apart from a complete waste of £200

rajboab
    Free Member

I love my GTECH AirRam. One of the best items I’ve ever bought.

It’s basically a powered version of your mums old carpet sweeper!

Runs long enough to vacuum my 4 bed house.
    Mix of wood and carpeted floors.
    Easy empty.
    Picks up dust, hair, threads etc but can struggle a bit with slightly larger items

Light, compact and I’ve usually hovered whatever I need to in the time it would take me to get the full hoover’s cord unwound.

I can hoover the stairs by holding it near the handle base to move it.

Considering getting the GTECH Multi handheld cordless vacuum for blinds etc.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I can hoover the stairs by holding it near the handle base to move it.

mmm I’m not convinced a vacuum cleaner without a hose that’ll let you do edges properly is of any use.

Considering getting the GTECH Multi handheld cordless vacuum for blinds etc.

So £350 worth of items to let you vacuum the house properly. There must be an all in one solution for less money surely.

DrP

So… I’ve the gtech for floors, wood floor, and carpets..
    Love it..kind of replaces a dustpan and brush too.
    Then I’ve got a Dyson handheld thing with motorised brush bar for stairs and upholstery.

Basically, I adopt the hamster reflex and clean when I’m stressed, so thought I may as well have nice stuff!
    I’ve got a corded Dyson and whilst it IS more powerful than the air ram, I never use it (our cleaner never use it either, and has just bought herself an air ram after being so impressed by ours!)

It really does replace a corded vacuum.

Great for quick dusting of hardwood floors too.

DrP

DrJ

G-Tech website looks nice 🙂 – but what about my sofa cushions? They seem to hold infinite quantities of dust. Right now I take them out onto the balcony and beat them until my arms ache, but the flow of exiting dust doesn’t diminish in the slightest!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

It really does replace a corded vacuum.

It doesn’t really, well unless you spend more money and have to use two tools for a job instead of one 🙂

You’re probably right about the replacing a dustpan and brush though.

craigxxl
    Free Member

B&D PD1800 is what we replaced our Dyson with. Lasts longer, much more powerful and holds more dirt too. Also recharges and having the hose is more useful.

DrP

Gary, true
    I suppose we had our handheld Dyson before getting the air ram (never used the house on the Dyson upright) so my view is skewed..

DrP

footflaps

We have a Dyson Animal (corded) and a Dyson cordless which seems to cover all bases……

brassneck

Battery problem, get at least 15 minutes out of our Dyson cordless – plenty to keep the house clean if you keep up with the spot cleaning day to day. Can usually do the whole place on one charge. Power is more than ample with the powered heads, though it’s not as good without (not so good at cleaning the car as I’d hoped).

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve a DC59 which as brassneck above says, lasts about 15-20 minutes or so, enough to do the house. We’ve got an old Henry as well, but I can’t remember the last time we used it.

I got a refurb one from the Dyson outlet on ebay, looked like new when it arrived.

Think the new one lasts 40 minutes but it’s super expensive.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Battery problem, get at least 15 minutes out of our Dyson cordless

or different generation – the latest dysons on Amazon list longer battery life as a feature.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I think the original cordless Dysons were a bit pants (for suction power and battery life), the newer ones are really good though IMO (but hideously expensive). I run mine permanently in high power mode and still do 4 or 5 rooms with it (you need to remember as well when doing stairs etc. you don’t need to keep it on permanently which helps the battery life)

footflaps

but hideously expensive

Pretty much sums up all Dyson products!

brassneck

From the Ebay outlet they’re almost reasonable. Certainly it seems fair for the use we’ve had out of what was a bit of a punt – the corded Dyson lives in the garage now.

dmorts

I’ve been a fan of Dyson products for a while and we have 2 vacuums, an upright and handheld. The hand held is great and lasts about 15 mins. The upright is great on floors and carpets

However, over the last few days I’ve been thinking some Dyson products have large fundamental flaws. Two examples:

The upright vacuum cleaner. The hose that comes out of the handle is rubbish and it has always been rubbish! First came it across it one my parents vacuum about 10 years ago. When cleaning stairs, the tension on the hose gets greater and greater as you go up and you can never reach the top regardless. Our much newer and smaller vacuum has the same issue. Also If you’re not pulling the hose out exactly ‘in-line’ the unit falls over because it’s too light!

Hand dryers. Great at getting the water off your hands quickly and drying them. However, the dryer dumps all of this water all over the floor!

jairaj

Latest tests by Which? Show the Dyson and Bosch cordless vacuums are the best, G-tech got a good review but not as good as the other two.

Also check with Dyson if there is a fault you should be getting better battery life or power from yours or if it’s just old.

bear-uk
    Free Member

We have the Bosch cordless and the wife loves it. Sometimes I have a little play at hoovering up. 😯

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Replacement for Dyson cordless vacuum’ is closed to new replies.