Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Replacement for BT Infinity Router – Recommendations Please
  • Alphabet

We’ve got BT Infinity (option 1 – getting about 36M) with one of their Infinity routers. I think it’s a HH5. But it’s rubbish as it keeps dropping wifi and we have to reboot it every other day. The old BT ADSL router was fine for wifi coverage and stability.

The wifi devices we want to connect to it are a couple of phones, laptops and tablets.

What can anyone recommend to replace it with? Ideally I would like one unit that just takes the place of the HH5.

Edit: After a bit of searching on line is an Asus RT N66u any good?

Thanks.

richmars

Can’t help with a replacement, but my HH5 has been fine with wireless, maybe it’s faulty?

Speshpaul

Have you tried telling BT it doesn’t work?

MoreCashThanDash

Ours has been fine as well, you may have a duff one.

eruptron
    Free Member

Speshpaul – Member
    Have you tried telling BT it doesn’t work?

Good luck with that. They’re the single most useless company I have ever had to deal with which says something as I’ve had dealings with the DVLA.

Ordered BT house move 3rd Dec for earliest possible date 17th line and fibre wife stayed in all day expecting an engineer to show up as any sensible person would.
    phoned on day eventually got through while waiting got text telling me that it’d be connected 8th January at the address we were leaving. Many calls later and promises about getting the connection we are still not connected and it would appear we’re defiantly not getting an engineer till the 8th and connected until the 14th but now have an email telling the infinity may not be on till after this date due to a porting issue what ever a porting issue is.
    They’re an utter shower.

twonks

We have BT Infinity and found similar problems with the HH3 when it was put in around 14 months ago.

Bought a relatively cheap TP Link WR841N

Been solid for the most and only very occasionally do we now need to restart (every 2 weeks or so)

robware
    Free Member

The problem with FTTP fibre (a la BT Infinity) is that you need a VDSL modem. Luckily you can now get aftermarket routers with VDSL modems in them, but they’re not cheap.

I currently use the OpenReach modem I originally got with a TP-Link WR1043ND (first gen). When I moved to my new house I got the new HomeHub with the modem built in. Mostly been reliable, but lately it’s been failing lots, hence my OpenReach+TP-Link setup.

allthegear
    Free Member

BT are now supplying routers that have vdsl modems built in? Oh that’s cheeky – make it rather difficult to change suppliers as you need to then source your own modem. Naughty BT.

Rachel

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I used to have issues with wifi dropping out because of interference with the neighbours wifi networks and when I got my BT router I suffered from the same issue (its the previous generation one). So I switched off the wifi and used the BT router as a simple modem and connected it to an Apple Airport Extreme wifi router that is dual band, so that got around the WiFi interference issue and 4-5yrs on my wifi has been 100% reliable. Over the years i’ve tried a few wifi routers from various brands (Belkin, Netgear, D-Link and the BT Router) and at some point or other i’ve had issues with all of them, but so far the Apple Airport Extreme router has been absolutely faultless.

Alphabet

Thanks for the replies so far. The problem with BT customer support is that the router is always working by the time I call them.

I do have a TP Link router with a WAN port so I’ll try using that as the wireless access point and use the BT router for Internet connection only.

Russell96

There was a thread on here the other day about WiFi connection problems to a BT Infinity router, think the issue was that it was using the same SSID name for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz so the solution was to rename the SSID for one of the frequencies instead.

Yes the latest BT Infinity routers combine the VDSL modem in the router rather than having it as a separate unit, but this is just mirroring what happened with ADSL in the very early days. It enables a user self install to take place instead of a engineer visit (same happened when ADSL came out)

There are routers out there that have the VDSL modem built in Fritzbox and Draytek are just two that come to mind.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Alphabet – you are doing what I would suggest, trying the TP Link first. You might like to try changing channels via the admin login, it could be interference. You may wish to get a better WiFi router and just connect that to the BT HH via Ethernet.

Alphabet

it was using the same SSID name for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz so the solution was to rename the SSID for one of the frequencies

I’ve done that a few days ago. Same problem.

You might like to try changing channels via the admin login, it could be interference

I haven’t tried that but there are no other houses in range of wifi.

Broadband connection time is showing as 12.5 hours so it is dropping out which makes me think it’s the BT router itself rather than a wifi problem.

chainslapp
    Free Member

The 36mb you refer to above, is that measured on Ethernet?

andrewni
    Free Member

I bought a netgear dual band router, it was about £100 from curry’s. Kept the white bt box thing (you can tell I don’t work in IT). This cured all my poor connection /dropped connection issues and I can now watch Netflix to my hearts content 🙂

simon_g

HH5 has been fine for us since I separated the 2.4 and 5GHz bands on their own SSIDs.

They’re very cheap to pick up secondhand (mine was £32 and unused – I’m not a BT customer), if you want one unit and don’t want to deal with BT or spend a lot then I’d be inclined to try another.

Draytek Vigor 2760n has the VDSL modem built in but its a bit spendy.

allthepies
    Free Member

HH5 here too and all is good. Great only having to have just one box also rather than two 🙂

funkrodent

Spent a couple of years working in the VoIP telephony industry. Standard issue for all VoIP applications (needs to be a good piece of kit due to the sensitivity that SIP – which is the protocol that runs VoIP telephony – has to packet loss) was the Draytek range of routers. The one for an infiniti connection is the Draytek 2760n (the n means it supports wi-fi). These are outstanding pieces of kit that set up correctly will provide you with a whole load more than just a modem (incl a very effective firewall).

You’ll pay around £100 and you’ll probably need someone who knows what they are doing to configure it for you. I’m on infiniti and will be getting one in the new year

Speshpaul

“The problem with BT customer support is that the router is always working by the time I call them.”

You are not helping yourself here:-)
    Next time make sure it isn’t working

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Replacement for BT Infinity Router – Recommendations Please’ is closed to new replies.