Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replacement crankset for (old) Truvativ GXP
  • gribble
    Free Member

My bike came with a Truvativ 3.3 GXP crankset, which initially was fine.

After 5 years I have replaced all the chainrings, bottom bracket twice (first time GXP, 3 months later a Hope BB) and the self extracting bolt has cracked. Nothing unexpected for the use/age.

Last year however the LBS discovered the self extracing crank bolt was cracked, so kindly fitted a rubber sealed plunger type bolt (not self extracting). I pretty much have to tighten the bolt up every other ride and it seems to wear loose very quickly.

Shall I either: replace the crank arms only and retain the middleburn chain rings or ditch the whole lot and get a new crankset from shimano (which I hope will be more secure). Also, is it best to leave my Hope BB in place – I can’t seem to get the bugger out anyway, despite adding grease when I fitted it, it feels locked in place. Presumably a Shimano set up would slide stright into a Hope BB (once I have removed the SRAM type GXP adaptor).

Any recommendations?

gribble
    Free Member

Oh, meant to say it is a 3 x 9 set up with standard 68/73 mm bb shell.

redted
    Free Member

Gribble, I’ve got this in my spares box you can have for a tenner to cover P&P, there’s still some good life in it yet and would keep you on the trails for winter at least I reckon. Email in my profile if interested, it’s a Stylo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gribble
    Free Member

Thanks Redted, but probably looking to go away from truvativ to another brand. I will probably transfer old chain rings onto new cranks to keep the new rings fresh and wear all the old stuff out together before using up newer rings.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shimano Deore HT2
    CRC have OE ones, with BB,for sale at £48 right now, which cannot be beaten….. Well, last week they were £25. I bought one, my brother bought 3, but you get the idea! 🙂

jsinglet

My GXP crankset lasted one change of bottom bracket before I could no longer tighten it enough to stay on longer than 30 minutes. Same with a friends one. All my shimano cranksets have had no problems.

gribble
    Free Member

Jsinglet – glad it is not just me then, I began to think I was doing something stupid.

Got back from riding around Surrey Hills yesterday evening, the left crank arm was literally floppy as it was so loose.

Time to change to Shimano me thinks. At least I know it will just work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Replacement crankset for (old) Truvativ GXP’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts