Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replacement chromebook keyboard
  • chvck
    Free Member

This is a longshot but my googlefoo is failing me and I know there’s some knowledgeable chromebookers(?!) on here. I may have spilt tea on my chromebook a few times and now various keys have given up working, any ideas on where to buy a new keyboard for a lower price than a new chromebook?

ji
    Free Member

plug in an external one?

Stoner
    Free Member

china. what brand & model chromebook?

chvck
    Free Member

Oops I meant to put that in, Toshiba CB30-102. Only thing I can see on google is a keyboard for 220 quid which feels somewhat excessive…

oldnpastit

I have no idea if this would work, but I think you might try removing the keyboard (should be easy enough) and cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol. I would think that brake pad cleaner (which is basically IPA) would work quite well.

Stoner
    Free Member

Parts listed as being available for about £55
    onhttp://www.toshiba-parts.co.uk/Chromebook/CB30-102

I’d take the computer apart first and clean it as old oldnpastit suggests though

Cougar

any ideas on where to buy a new keyboard for a lower price than a new chromebook?

You’re not kidding are you? I thought “ah, eBay” – it’s where I got a replacement netbook keyboard from for Not Silly money a while back – but the cheapest ones on there are £145 and the same Chromebook complete is £149. That’s madness.

I’d take the computer apart first and clean it as old oldnpastit suggests though

It’s worth a try if it’s burgered anyway, but I’ve had a success rate of 0% in trying to resurrect beverage-damaged laptop keyboards.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I am currently suffering greatly from a rash of damaged equipment.

In my research I have read up on this sort of keyboard error, it’s likely the beverage has damaged the printed conductive traces in the keyboard, your option at that point is to completely strip the keyboard, separate the layers on the microswitch membrane, find the damaged trace and repaint it with PCB trace repair paint.

Put it this way, I am a huge geek with some time on his hands, and I still haven’t actually bothered on my £100 keyboard (which failed after a wipedown with a damp cloth FML)

chvck
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ve already had it apart and couldn’t actually work out how to separate the keyboard from the top assembly. Shall have another go as it can’t hurt, probably going to end up with a new part from Stoner’s link.

Although, I have been thinking about replacing it with something a bit more powerful. Choices are hard!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Replacement chromebook keyboard’ is closed to new replies.