Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Replacement bolt for this?
  • cjr61

I’m being a bit blonde this morning but need some stainless steel versions of this to sort our creaky bed out.

Thread measures 7.5mm x 14mm so assuming that’s an M7?

Recommended sources?

Thanks

Chris

mikewsmith
    Free Member

got a local hardware store? Probably will be one with nuts and bolts, just find what it screws into and get the corresponding bolt

stevied
    Free Member

stainless steel versions of this to sort our creaky bed

What sort of stains do you need protect the screws from?

More likely to be M8, an M7 thread (like all threads) will be under the nominal size.

cjr61

Thanks both. Don’t need to protect the screws from any stains thanks…..just sicking of these soft steel heads rounding out so assumed SS was best?

Hard steel needed I suppose.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for M8. Looks about right and likely to be slightly undersized.

More likely to round out a cheap stainless steel bolt that high tensile steel

cjr61

Cool. Is there a specific high tens steel I should ask for?

stevied
    Free Member

Something like this should do: eBay

nickjb
    Free Member

You don’t need it to be high tensile for that application but anything that actually has a grading (such as 8.8 or 10.9) is likely to be better quality that one that has nothing on it.

Davesport

I’d run a known size metric nut up there before pressing “buy” I’ve got a big “Box of Shyte” that I keep all the gash nuts and bolts in. The stuff that comes with beds/flat-pack etc may not be metric. I’ve found this more than a couple of times whilst rummaging for an an odd nut or bolt.

D.

properbikeco
    Free Member

a £1 ebay thread gauge from the far east makes all these discussions about pitch and thread much easier 🙂

porter_jamie

theres an outside chance its 5/16unc… but if your metric allen key kits nicly i’d say its M8x1.25

if you are anywhere near essex you can come and raid the mighty drawer of fasteners i’ve got hundreds

Is you main issue is the small allen key size being to small so you can’t lean on it then go to a normal cap headed bolt and a washer

cjr61

Thanks all.

Porter_Jamie – The main problem is the sodding oak bed creaks like a bugger! I tried to tighten up the 8 bolts (2 each corner) and managed to round half them off 😳 – I think cap head would be an improvement.

I’ve read that applying wax to each surface sorts out creaks, but I now need to remove buggered bolts and then replace with something more appropriate for my mighty tightening strength!

Regrettably i’m miles away from Essex, but thanks for the offer anyway.

spooky_b329

Deleted… Forgotten post now already discussed!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can get them from the local nuts shop if you are certain what they are

I would imagine about £2 ish + postage as a guess

PM if you need me to do this

cjr61

Thanks Junkyard – Think I might go and take a little sunshine stroll around Coventry shortly and see what the local hardware stores have in stock!
    Cheers

Sundayjumper

Screwfix do big packs of ss nuts / bolts very cheaply. Any time I need something I don’t already have in stock I buy a pack so that I have spares for next time.

cjr61

Thanks all. A little stroll down to a local DIY shop an I’ve got some hex head M8 bolts (checked against an M8 bolt and fits fine)….socket set should allow for decent torque and less rounding!

Any recommendations on removing the rounded bolts? Threaded screw extractor? Cut a slot for flat screwdriver?

Thanks

stumpy01

cjr61 – Member

Any recommendations on removing the rounded bolts? Threaded screw extractor? Cut a slot for flat screwdriver?

Quote often using the next size up Torx socket will work – you might have to tap it in….

Or yeah, hacksaw a slot & use a screwdriver.

Regarding the creaking – might be worth getting some felt & cutting ‘gaskets’ to fit between the wooden parts…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Replacement bolt for this?’ is closed to new replies.