Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replacement BB30 for Boardman
  • butcher

Stripped down the BB on my Boardman Team CX today (FSA chainset), and whilst it’s not really dead, I think I’d be more comfortable replacing it, especially after I’ve hammered it out with various makeshift tools…

But given the reputation of BB30s in Boardman Bikes, is there a better alternative I can use? In fact I’m not even sure what the direct replacement is? There seems to be various bearing kits, and some BBs, but nothing I see as identical to what I’ve got.

cp

The actual bb bit is just a couple of bearings and circlips to position the bearings, so assuming you’ve not damaged the circlips then just insert some new bearings.

I use the cheapest 6806 2rs bearings from ebay, pop the seals and pack with grease. Last well in crappy cx race and winter training.

butcher

Hmm. I’ve never actually seen any circlips… This is one of the things that confused me, because they were selling bearings and circlips… There were a couple of washers/spacers on the none drive side… Maybe I need to look again 😕

Interesting though if it’s an ISO standard bearing.

The thing is as well, on the boardman, the bearings sit inside plastic cups. I’m guessing they’re separate? Whatever happened to BBs that came all in one piece…

cp

They’re in the frame, behind each bearing

simondbarnes

The thing is as well, on the boardman, the bearings sit inside plastic cups.

Sounds like Pressfit 30 rather than BB30 then.

cp

The thing is as well, on the boardman, the bearings sit inside plastic cups.

I missed this bit. Older Boardman cx frames were all BB30, but the current model is PF30… Assume yours is the current model (black, red, silver) OP?

EDIt:- is this what came out? £14.59 at wiggle

EDIT again… PF30 and BB30 use the same 6806 bearing. good luck getting them in and out of the plastic sleeve on pf30 though

cp
    munkster
    Free Member

If PF30 then WheelsMfg threaded PF30 BB which fixes the two cups together to prevent creaking. As above the WheelsMfg website has a decent “which BB do I need” section then I’d get your LBS to order it in using the product code (look at Madison website or just ask LBS if unsure).

You’ll need a bearing press and a MegaExo BB tool (about £15) to fit it. I fitted my first one myself (I have the tools) but my LBS has offered to fit the next one free if I buy it through them. HTH!

butcher

Thanks for the responses. Makes a lot more sense now!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Replacement BB30 for Boardman’ is closed to new replies.