Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replacement 26" wheel – advice please
  • tombrad
    Free Member

Happy new year all,

My Easton EA70 XCT freehub has given up the ghost and they no longer stock replacements so looking for a new wheel instead.

I had been very happy with the wheels until this point (although am now aware this is a major recurring issue!) and am still running the front wheel with an old knackered rear from yonks ago until I can get something new.

Must be 26″. Mainly XC and trail centre use so light is good.Ideally I’d like tubeless ready. Not fussed about a matching wheels etc so happy to buy single rear wheel.
    What would you recommend?

Thanks

Tom

tombrad
    Free Member

Preferably under £100
    Anyone selling?

iainc

Have a look at wheel builder on Merlin

pacerc100
    Free Member

For XC I would take a look at the Superstar Carbon rims, until midnight they are £52.49 each. It’s going to blow your budget a bit when you factor in hub and spokes but hey they are carbon and will make you at least 10x faster (or maybe I made that bit up). I got a pair recently and would say finish wise they are much for a muchness with the rims on my £1200 Roval wheelset. Not sure how they would hold up to trail centre use but for £50 not the end of the world if you predominately ride XC anyway.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Carbon rims don’t always offer that much weight saving, if any at all. If you really want the stiffness then maybe worth a look. My experience of carbon rims has been a bit disastrous and that’s with more expensive brand. I’m not convinced by carbon for rims, and I’d personally steer clear of cheap carbon rims.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Replacement 26" wheel – advice please’ is closed to new replies.