Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Replace chain or shim c/set
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I am running a 9 speed xt cassette with a 9 speed sram chain, but with 10 speed raceface turbine c/set rings. Whilst the combination works ok, I do notice that when on rears cogs 11 – 13 and on the middle front the chain rubs on the inside face of the outer front ring. I suspect that this is caused by the spacing between the outer and middle front rings being slightly less than on a 9 speed ring set.

Now I suspect there are 2 ways to tackle this problem and wanted to see what other have done or thought.

The sensible option seems like placing a suitably sized shim ~ 0.6mm between the front outer and inner rings. Some say just run a 10 speed chain, but I suspect this may cause slight issue with the front shifter as that will be slightly too wide for the narrower chain and you could end up with shifting problems?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can you fiddle with the chain line by changing the bb spacers
    Assuming its an x- type bb ?

flanagaj
    Free Member

The bb is a integrated type pressed into the frame so I don’t think I can push this out to alter the c/line?

In fact I am almost certain I cannot as the raceface crank has the axle connected to the non drive side crank arm

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t use those gears or try a 10s chain – re-spacing the big ring will prob cause more problems tho it will be cheaper.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Don’t race face chainsets still use those stupid little plastic washers on the axle for chain line adjustment
    Been a while since I’ve had to fit one so may have changed

coatesy
    Free Member

Putting an extra plastic washer on the axle will preload the bearings to an early death (probably the reason most RF BBs used to die prematurely). I’m running 0.6mm spacers on my commuter’s outer ring for similar clearance problems, and on my middle and inner on the mountain bike as part of a crap chainline solution, they work fine, not wide enough to cause problems, but wide enough to solve them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve done the same with a 105 triple on the road. Sorted with 0.6mm shims from eBay.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Sounds to me like the shims are the way to go. One final question

Do the shims sit on the inside face of the large chain ring and on the outside face of the spider, or on the outside face of the middle chain ring and inside face of spider?

It does look like there is considerably more spacing between the middle ring and granny ring than between the outer and middle ring so I suspect shimming the middle ring will even out the spacing.

I suspect get the shims and try both to see what works best.

Thanks

orangeboy
    Free Member

I was not suggesting adding extra shims just moving them from one side to the other

Onzadog
    Free Member

Shim between the large ring and the spider.

coatesy
    Free Member

Good point Orangeboy, had my one track mind switched on to adding spacers this morning.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Replace chain or shim c/set’ is closed to new replies.