• This topic has 19 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Del.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Repairing tubeless tyres
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Hi all,

Had a puncture last night in the worst gloopy muddy conditions you can imagine.

Banged 3 air canisters in it but the white juice just wouldn’t seal it. ended up putting a tube in to get me home.

I’m going to give it a good wash tonight and see if i can find the damage, but from what i could tell it was a small hole.

Any ideas why it might not have sealed? Was still liquid stans in the tyre when I removed it.

Whats the best way to repair it if for some reason it won’t seal when I re-fit it all cleaned up with fresh fluid?

Ta

joebristol

Anchovie?

I’ve not had a tubeless puncture yet that hasn’t sealed but I have a repair kit with the little bung things in my bag just in case.

whitestone
    Free Member

If it’s just a small hole similar to what you’d get in a tube then clean it up and glue on a tube patch. The pressure in the tyre will keep it pressed on. Bigger hole then use an anchovy.

simondbarnes

I’d just chuck an anchovy in it. As I would have done on the trail.

legend
    Free Member

Another vote for plug/anchovy here, even if you have to open up the hole slightly to get it in. Anything else seems like a messy faff in comparison these days

chilled76
    Free Member

Sorry to sound stupid, but how do you use these “anchovies”? I’ve never used one

(simple step by step instructions assuming I know nothing about them would be really helpful please)?

Tracey

Plug on the trail and then a mushroom when I got the tyre off at home.

chilled76
    Free Member

Have you got a link to the above product please Tracey?

nigew
    Free Member

Chilled 76
    Try here

whitestone
    Free Member

The come with instructions (amazing really in these days of everything being online).

Basically they come with two small tools: one is a round file to clean and prepare the hole; the other is a needle – you thread the anchovy through the needle then push all the way into the tyre and pull back out so that the needle is clear of the tyre. You then cut the anchovy between the tyre and the needle (there’s a small blade in the kit as well)

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks. Do they need glue applying?

Tracey

The mushrooms need tyre glue, we just bought a pot from ebay at the same time.

chilled76
    Free Member

Is tyre glue the same as what you get in a normal puncture repair kit “rubber vulcanising solution”?

chilled76
    Free Member

Is tyre glue the same as what you get in a normal puncture repair kit “rubber vulcanising solution”?

whitestone
    Free Member

@chilled76 – those mushrooms look like you need to remove the tyre so fine for back at home but might be a bit of faff out on the trail. No need to remove the tyre to use anchovies. Can’t remember if I used glue the one time I needed to use an anchovy.

kiwijohn

We poke a rubber band through the hole & then trim the ends off. The nice wide ones we get in the post.
    As long as your sealant is good, job done.
    Works especially well on those trick holes on the bead.

jonnym92

Used the mushroom types to great effect. I just used the puncture repair kit stuff, and hung the tyre of a pair of molgrips for a day or two. All good.

legend
    Free Member

I’ve had anchovies lasting years in tyres (the tyre will get binned before the anchovy fails), so never bothered with the mushrooms

Del

No.
    Just buy the weldtite tubeless repair kit. Comes with everything you need. As you run out of stuff eBay is your go to.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Repairing tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.