Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Repairing tubeless tyres
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

I got a 1cm slash in my tubless bontrager mud tyre at the end of last winer. Was not getting sealed by the sealant, would burst if I put over 10psi in it.

Putting them on again last week I realised i hadn't reparied it. Whats the best way of me doing it?

I have had super glue suggested, and also just using a tyre patch on the inside. Something about anchovies too??

Anyhow whats the recommended way?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Superglue the cut, dental floss stitching and a conventional patch on the inside. NOT a self adhesive one though.

Anchovies aren't really the thing for cuts like that.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

standard inner tube patches aren't thick enough. You need the dedicated tubeless tyre patches.
    see

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46349

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Thick enough for what?! They're worked fine for me over the years.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I wrote my post before I saw your post SO.

I've had std patches bulge on me, on inflation. The tyre stayed inflated but the bulge was a week spot. I didn't sew the hole up first though, like you suggest.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ah! I understand.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Cool I'll get my needle and thread. Thanks

BigJohn

I use wetsuit glue – not the contact adhesive, but the sort that you make a big blob of then wait 12hrs for it to set in a big transparent shiny way.

I think it's also called seam sealer in camping shops. Costs about £7 but great for re-soling shoes too.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I have used car tyre repair plugs or "mushrooms" as there known. They need the tyre to be de-greased and prepared in the correct way. Cant find a better pic but your local tyre fitter should sell you one. This is what they look like. They are used for car tyres (also tubeless) so should be strong enough for small holes a few mm in size.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TYRE-PLUG-REPAIR-PATCHES-MUSHROOM-3mm-x40-FREE-DELIVERY-/320568737883

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Repairing tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.