Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Repairing torn tyre walls.
  • DT78
    Free Member

Is it possible? Pretty bad split about an inch, managed to get home with an improvised tyre boot but the tube was bulging through quite badly.

I was thinking a good few layers of duct tape might sort it?

Bit annoyed as the tyre is only 4 months old, and not cheap at £30.

R979
    Free Member

You can sew it up using fishing line.

DT78
    Free Member

Now thats an idea. How long did the tyre last after you sewed it up? If it lasted more than a couple of months I reckon I'll give it a go

epicyclo

Sewing it up works pretty well. Do it neatly – try to keep the stitches from standing proud. Apply a patch to the inside of the tyre. Will work for a long time if you do it right. We used to use silk thread.

These days I'd be inclined to use superglue as well.

DT78
    Free Member

When you say patch do you mean inner tube patch?

I was thinking about cutting up an old inner tube and glueing it over, or possibly I have a worn out dual ply tyre in the shed I could cut up and use

R979
    Free Member

Lasted me for the life of the tire. Make sure you finish the stitching off properly so doesn't come undone. Not sure what's it called in sewing talk.

Didn't use any patches or glue either.

luked2
    Free Member

Dental floss seems to work quite well (well, it's lasted 200 miles anyway).

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I bonded a piece of innertube over the split and strengthened it with a gel sachet to finish a ride. Used the tyre for 3 months after, changed it for a mud tyre for winter then binned it. Worked fine for me.

coatesy
    Free Member

Always carry a large square of plastic damp proof course with me for patching tyre damage, should be good for a permanent repair reinforcement too.

KonaTC

I have stitched a 1" split with thread from a saddle shop splash of superglue and a patch on the inside lasted months

Lucas
    Free Member

I've still got a tyre I use fairly regularly that I stiched up with some thick thread and stuck a patch on the inside. The patch was a cut to fit inner tube patch, so i cut a big piece from it. It now has a slight buldge but my sowing is crap…..

Shackleton

You can get tyre repair kits (JRA do them for tubeless repairs) that are essentially bigger thicker tube patches. I put one on each side of a 1.5" gash in a crossmark while on the trail and it's still fine after 3 months. I was going to sew it up but never got around to it……

I've also done the same with cut up inner tube and glue but it started to peel from the edges, I guess because the raised lip at the edge snagged things.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Repairing torn tyre walls.’ is closed to new replies.