Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Repairing road tubes?
  • beefheart
    Free Member

Do people bother repairing road inner tubes?
    I’ve had 5 punctures in the past couple of weeks due to farmers cutting hedges (been a year since the last one), and it’s getting expensive.
    I’m running 23c Conti Ultra Sport tyres at ~110psi.

The problem is the tubes are so narrow that the patch overlaps when I hold it on and never makes a proper seal.
    I now have a collection of tubes which I seem unable to patch.
    Are tiny road specific patches available?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have done it in the past, but tubes are only a couple of quid each so it’s barely worth the bother.

zilog6128

Every patch kit I’ve ever seen has contained both big rectangular patches and smaller circular patches. Surely the smaller ones would be OK?

I tend to use self-adhesive patches when fixing road tubes though. I’ve found the Lezyne ones really good. Often repair the tube at the roadside rather than put a new tube in if I can find the puncture right away. Having said that I use road tubeless now so no punctures to report recently!

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Do you have a pair of scissors? If so a large patch can magically become one, or even two, tiny ones.

eshershore
    Free Member

@beefheart

I’d look at changing your tires if you are having problems locally with road conditions? perhaps something more penetration resistant to stop all those punctures as its a pain in the a**e!

I don’t trust patching road tubes (of course it can, and is done regularly) because of the high pressure its inflated to

would suggest finding some road tubes cheap on a bulk deal

clubber
    Free Member

As above, I’ve never had an issue repairing them with the small patches.Just peel off the foil and wrap them round the tube.

tonyd

Other than a recent snake bite I can’t remember the last puncture I had. The snake bite is still awaiting repair as I swapped for a spare tube. I usually cut up an old tube and use that for patches, with glue/chalk/etc from an old repair kit. Make your own and they can be whatever size you want.

Alternatively, £1.99 at On One / Planet X

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Did one last night, no problems.

beefheart
    Free Member

I’d look at changing your tires if you are having problems locally with road conditions? perhaps something more penetration resistant to stop all those punctures as its a pain in the a**e!

Agreed. Any suggestions- what tyres for riding on roads where farmers can’t be arsed clearing thorny hedge trimmings? 🙂

Preferably still light(ish) and fast, and 23-25mm?

(The circular ones are still too big, the tubes I was using were £9 each(!), and I tried cutting a large patch in half but it still wouldn’t seal as there is no ‘flat rubbery edge’ to make a decent seal….)

JoB
    Free Member

yes, you can buy packs of smaller patches that fit road tubes perfectly

most of my road tubes have patches on them, it’s not a problem

Klunk
    Free Member

if you get a slight leak from a patch repair then a small amount of stans works a treat (assuming your tube has a removable valve core ;))

cynic-al
    Free Member

East peasy to repair them.

Not to mention reduces landfills, if you give a shit about such things, many people don’t.

zilog6128

lol, I was going to post a video showing some MTBers doing their best to ensure their inner tubes didn’t end up in a landfill, but the cheeky beggers have removed it!

grizedaleforest

Agreed. Any suggestions- what tyres for riding on roads where farmers can’t be arsed clearing thorny hedge trimmings?

Same problem in my neck of the woods. Have had lots of punctures on the MTB recently but none on the road bike using these Continental Gatorskin

tonyd

+1 Gatorskins. Some folks on here will tell you they have no grip but I’ve never noticed. Been using them all year round on my road bike for about 5 years now without issues and very few punctures (lots of country lanes)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Repairing road tubes?’ is closed to new replies.