Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Repairing dodgy bike light cable
  • frogstomp

So, the cable on my bike light has become a bit temperamental, probably due to being wrapped around the bars too much!

How easy would it be to just chop out the dodgy bit of cable and reattach the end ‘plug’ (which looks sealed on)? Any tips?

RustyMac

If the connector is sealed you will probably be easier to buy a replacement length of cable or chop an extension lead in half and re-wire into the light unit.

wwaswas

if the issue is int he middle then I’d get hold of a two different sizes of heat shrink (one the size of the inner cable one the outer.

1)cut out the damaged section out
    2) strip back outer by about 5cm on one and 2cm on the other and then the inner on each wire, expose about 1cm of bare wire on each and tin the wire
    3) run a 4cm bit of heat shrink over each ‘long’ inner tail and a 10cm bit over one of the outers.
    4) join the inners by laying tinned ends alongside each other and soldering.
    5) move heatshrink so it’s over the new join and heat to shrink – this will insulate wires from each other.
    6) move outer heatshrink so it covers all exposed wires and then heatshrink that – it should provide weather proofing.

I’ve done the above a couple fo times and with moulded on plugs it’s about the only way to either extend or shorten cables.

frogstomp

Thanks for the suggestions. The dodgy bit is near the sealed plug so I think I’ll have to wire a new cable into the light as Rusty Mac suggests.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Repairing dodgy bike light cable’ is closed to new replies.