• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by bails.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Repairing carbon frames – cost and success?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Out of interest has anyone one had any success having a carbon frame repaired, specifically a cracked rear triangle?

If so who did you use and what was the cost?

Cheers in advance.

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, my On One Dirty Disco cracked a seatstay and a headtube and was repaired by Rob Hayles – yes, that Ron Hayles – at Re-carb – took about a week after I dropped it off with him (he’s local to me), but he does stuff by post too.

Can’t remember the exact cost, but it was highly reasonable considering the cost of a new frame. Put another 1000k or so on the bike with no problems.

cleetonator

Yeti SB66, before:

After:

Courtesy of carbon bike repair in leatherhead. Circa £350 to repair 3 fractures and repaint in black, opted not to pay more for colour matched respray.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cleetonator, Ive just found a rubber chainstay protector in the shed from my old 66, brand new, pm me if you want it for price of postage.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rob Hayles – yes, that Ron Hayles

Which one is it? :mrgreen:

tonyg2003

CBR are 5mins from me in Leatherhead. I dropped a frame off for them to have a look at. Seems like a good set up and with a knowledgeable team. They were pretty busy too.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Thanks for the info all! Was considering rescuing a frame that needs a repair but not sure if it’s worth it compared to the cost of an un-damaged one. I’ll have to see what the costs would be. Cheers for the links.

lovewookie

I repaired a Trek 9.8 hardtail, longitudinal crack in the top of the downtube, near the BB.

used this:http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/starter-kits/fishing-pole-repair-kit.html

£25, took about an hour to prep the frame and apply the kit, including reading the instructions 4 or 5 times!

ended up wrapping the area 4 or 5 times, tieing a section round the BB area too.

once dry, it took another hour to sand to a finish.

it wasn’t elegant, but it was effective and saved the frame.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Like lovewookie, I’ve repaired a smashed seat stay before. Facebook informed me a few days ago that it’s lasted two years. It’s on my Cube Stereo which gets ridden at least once a week off-road and raced a fair bit. All going strong.
    Someone else asked similar things a while ago and I ended up writing out a load of tips and how I went about the repair etc. which I emailed him. email me if you’re interested and I’ll dig it out.

takisawa2

THeres a place on Facebook that post pics of some of the repairs they do. Some of them look truly horrific, but repaired to look as new.

bails

I had a bashed seatstay/swingarm on a full sus repaired by http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/index.html

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Repairing carbon frames – cost and success?’ is closed to new replies.