Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Repairing a very small ding in a chromoly frame/will I die?
  • kayla1
    Free Member

I love my steel Sunn Tzar to bits but I found a small (around 10mm across), shallow (<1mm) ding in the top tube about 100mm from the seatpost. Will I die if I leave it or can I/should I get it brazed/TIGged up by a person who knows their onions? I’d prefer not to die or have to look for another lovely slack 26″ steel frame.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry. Owned/known a steel frame (kona) and a very racey alloy one which both went on for years with far larger dents than that in the top tube.

JAG

I agree with Julian.

My last Aluminium alloy frame had a bigger dent in the top tub in a similar location for the entire time I owned it. I’d ride it and not worry 😀

coatesy
    Free Member

had one about the same size and place on my R8 for years with no problems, a mates GT Tequesta went on for about 5 years with a huge dent in the downtube just below the headtube after being kicked by a horse (I wouldn’t have ridden it after seeing the size, but shows just how bad it needs to be before it really is an issue).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

pfft, that’s tiny and in a steel frame will be fine.

kayla1
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies- I am suitably reassured that I won’t die if I ride it, which is nice 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

All that can be done is fill it with braze anyway

kayla1
    Free Member

I thought that even a little braze filler would be less likely to crumple like call-me-Dave’s footballist credentials than just the ding if I left it. It’ll be fine, I have some good, sturdy stickers here… 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Repairing a very small ding in a chromoly frame/will I die?’ is closed to new replies.