Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • repairing a biggish cut in a tyre – suggestions needed
  • brakes
    Free Member

I’ve got a wire bead Maxxis HR 2.35 60A tyre with plenty of life in it but it’s got a 1″ flint cut in it that goes right through the tyre.
    I’d like to repair it but could do with some pointers…
    The tyre seems structurally sound so I reckon I could patch and glue it inside but wonder if I could somehow stitch it to stop it gaping.
    So what do I patch it with? what glue to use? and is stitching going to work?
    I’m prepared to give it a try and if it fails, so be it.
    pic below of tyre and bodge to get me home, it had about 20 psi in at this point – it’s been in the shed like this for 18 months if that matters.

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve only ever fixed cuts like that on sidewalls, not on the actual tread.

I would go with super gluing and maybe stitching the cut*, and then gluing a patch on the inside (chunk of inner tube and vulcanising rubber solution).

* The tricky bit is not exposing the stitches to wear on the outside

You’ll probably feel it when riding though

Speshpaul

thats a big one, you are going to need a thick patch behind that and lots of super glue.
    can you patch it – yes. is it worth it, humm not really. it will be lumpy, and could fail again. always harder to keep a repair going in the tread than in the side wall.

brakes
    Free Member

thanks. so what would a patch be made from? inner tube would be too stretchy I guess, what about an old bit of tyre carcass – I’ve got an old road tyre I could use? Is there not some kind of rubber glue that would meld the tyre and patch together rather than using super glue which is brittle?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

vucanizing solution

zangolin
    Free Member

Throw it away and buy a new tyre.
    Maybe fix it – as a get you home repair only, otherwise one for the recycling section.
    35mph down a fast descent and it blows out – just not worth the risk. Always a ‘sickner’ to slash a good tyre – but it just happens. I’d rather spend £22 than have a future trip to the local A&E and weeks off work.

RustyMac

could you just not buy a tyre boot? Park do them. Like their self adhesive patches but biger thicker and stronger.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Wow! I’ve never seen a longitudinal slash like that before!

I’ve repaired sidewall tears with a piece of latex glued down with vulcanizing solution, reinforced with some gaffer tape superglued in places.

Perhaps you could clean the inside of the carcass with some ISP and glue down some reinforced tape eg gaffer tape so that the actual ply beneath the tread is supported and reinforced? Then stitch with either a sturdy fishing line or dental floss.

brakes
    Free Member

I’d rather not spend money on the repair as by the time I’ve bought a tyre boot (£5), some new glue (£3-4), etc. I’ll be half way to a new tyre.

thing is, if I bought a new tyre I wouldn’t get another high roller as I’ve gone off them for XC stuff. this is a for my spare bike so I may as well buy a new tyre for my first bike and relegate the old tyre to this bike.

brakes
    Free Member

Wow! I’ve never seen a longitudinal slash like that before!

it was from a flinty type rock stuck in mud at the bottom of a compression that I jumped into.

thanks PJM, I might give the gaffer tape and dental floss thing a whirl – or I might have some even stronger tape. then pressure test it.

I put it on a wheel last night, forgetting that it had a slash in it, then got it to about 30psi before it went BANG! ooops.

brakes
    Free Member

any more ideas from the evening crowd before I have a go?

tmb467
    Free Member

Gorilla tape

neninja
    Free Member

I had a similar gash on a sidewall of a nearly new Rubber Queen from some barbed wire. I superglued it, stitched it with dental floss and then put a large patch on the inside and a 2 pack flexible Araldite over the stitching.

I run tubeless and took it off after a while as I was worried it would give up the ghost on a remote moorland trail at the furthest point from the car.

YoGrant
    Free Member

Had some success using dental floss to stitch side walks but no way if bother to repair that.

robhenry85
    Free Member

i’d just bin it. will never be the same

sparkyrhino

I would bin it too,and Im a Yorkshireman 😯

allthepies
    Free Member

bin it.

brakes
    Free Member

I would bin it too, and Im a Yorkshireman

obviously not a true one like me 🙂

if I didn’t need a new pair of tyres for the commuter, a pair for the road bike and hadn’t just spent more than I wanted to building up a spare MTB I’d bin it… (good) tyres ain’t cheap.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’d bin it. Not worth repairing it I’m afraid.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘repairing a biggish cut in a tyre – suggestions needed’ is closed to new replies.