Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Repaired Domains rebound too quick
  • spw3

Last week I noticed oil leaking through the rebound adjuster on my favourite forks, 2008 180mm Domains. A quick bit of Googleage revealed that the rebound assembly was bished and needed replacing. After coughing up £55 those nice people at TFTuned sent me a replacement rebound assembly which if fitted this evening.

Gosh Rockshox forks are easy to work on.

However the fork is working smoothly but rebound is now super fast. Even with maximum damping on it’s just about at the speed it used to be with the old damper, when I would run it with damping about the middle of the range.

What is going on? Did I do something wrong? I reused the oil as it was less than a month old so that is not to blame and I used Rockshox recommended 200ml of 5 wt oil.

transporter13
    Free Member

I had the same problem(fast rebound) when i serviced my 2011 forks..same as yours with 180mm travel…just substitute the 5wt for 15wt and they’ll be fine 😉

mine have 15wt in and they have the full range from super fast to real slow.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

either the oil is too thin (see above) or you need to add some more…

transporter13
    Free Member

any more than 205mm and you stop being able to get full travel

spw3

thanks guys

@transporter13 – I’ve got 7.5, 10 and 15 wt oil so i could give that a go.

@oliverd1981 – won’t thicker oil increase compression damping at the same time?

Isn’t it a little weird that it didn’t happen when serviced them two weeks ago but ddi happen when I swapped out the rebound assembly? I was wondering whether I had done something wrong or whether the holes in the rebound assembly were now bigger on the new version?

retro83
    Free Member

depending on what oil you used it could be very different to what another manufacturer calls 5wt.

spw3

I guess that’s true but it had Stendec 5wt in both before and after I swapped the rebound assembly so the change in behaviour has to be bc:

A) I did something different when I rebuilt the fork (don’t *think* so) or
    B) bc the new rebound assembly was different in some way that my limited understanding of suspension and fluid mechanics won’t allow me to understand.

glenh
    Free Member

Seems a bit odd. Using heavier oil will slow it down of course, but it will also increase your compression damping, which you probably don’t want.

spw3

Exactly. I’m quite happy with the compression damping. I can foresee a call to TFtuned on Monday 🙁

scaredypants

* I know bugger all about this problem, or fork service *

might the damping cartridge not be full of oil & have some air in there ?
    might taking out spring/air and cycling the fork slowly a few times help with this ?

spw3

Lord, I have no idea. Anyone?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Repaired Domains rebound too quick’ is closed to new replies.