• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Repair Formula RC Tune or replace with Shimano XT/SLX?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I have never been very impressed with the stock Formula RC Tune disc brakes that came with my Cube. The rear has become spongy and it looks like the piston seal is leaking. I see Merlin are doing a pair of XT brakes for < £100 without rotor. Couple of questions.

1) Has anybody switched to XT from Formula. If so verdict?
    2) To save money can I use my Formula rotors?
    3) Worth going to XT or are the SLX just as good?

Thanks

Northwind

I love Formula’s higher end but they never seem to get it together for their OE offerings… I’d not want to spend much on them especially if you’re not loving them already. No warranty?

The feel of SLX is pretty different mind, not to my taste but they are ridiculously good value

jairaj

I’ve only had a brief encounter with Formula brakes so can’t comment on transferring to Shimano.

But the all the Shimano brakes feel very similar throughout the range, from Deore to SLX to XT. The extra money pays for sightly lighter weight and more tool free adjustment

Most rotors can be used with any brand brake. SRAM have a some funny sized rotors 183mm instead of 180mm that might cause trouble. But I think you will be OK with your current rotors.

I don’t know what fitting your Formula brakes are but Shimano now seem to only use the post mount system so if your Formula use IS fitting you’ll need some new adaptors.

sharkattack

I love my SLX brakes. They were a total bargain and they have mega power for what they are. They did take a bit of getting used to. Lots more lever travel.

Having used Formula in the past I say bury them in the garden.

lawman91

Formula brakes came as stock on my new bike and never saw dirt, replaced with XT’s before it left the showroom.They’re not bad brakes, but keeping them going can be a real pain. Shimano are just easier to live with and a better brake to start with!

whippetboy
    Free Member

I had the RC tune on my cube for about 18 months. I found I had massive arm pump with them and my hands were **** from the pull angle of the lever on long descents (e.g. inners) and they over heated at Fort Bill by about half way down the world cup course (reasonably scary). I eventually changed to XTs and on the first run with them you could feel the difference.

If all you need to do is fix a seal and bleed them and it can be done relatively cheaply and you like the brakes otherwise I’d just repair them. If you’re after trying something different, the XTs are a bargin and I reckon it will be like night and day difference wise.

FOG

I replaced my OE Formulas with Slxs after the rear caliper seized on in the middle of the Cheviots. I had to bang the caliper off with a rock and finish the ride with front brake only. Needless to say this hasn’t happened with the Shimamos!
    Five years on the SLXs are still working fine. They have been bled a few times, had a longer hose fitted for a new frame but still work perfectly. No reason not to really!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Repair Formula RC Tune or replace with Shimano XT/SLX?’ is closed to new replies.