Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Repainting Fox lower legs
  • northernerindevon

Good morning all,

I have a set of oldish Fox forks, 100mm jobbies, can’t remember the model and not at home to check, thinking of getting new steel hardtail frame and was idlely thinking that I could get the fork lower legs painted up to match (I know, I’m a tart!) – is this a practical idea and where might be a good place to get it done?? For what its worth, they just need to be repainted white (currently gray), nothing fancy like colour matching some complicated colour.

As ever, ta in advance,

Paul

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Painting them is not an issue, its whether you are going to dismantle the uppers from the lowers so you can do it properly or whether your just going to mask everything up and do it “ghetto stylee”
    FWIW I did a pair of brown Talas to satin black all in Situ and they came out pretty good, just make sure you mask the seals,stantions,steerer and all knobs VERY carefully- time spent here will reap rewards, use a craft knife to make sure it is all cut precisely.
    Then give a light key with some fine wet and dry and get spraying
    I had good results with the plasticote stuff from B n Q
    Mine has some significant stantion wear hence why I took the plunge and tidied them up
    Heres a pic

northernerindevon

Mattzzzzzz,

Cheers for that idea – hadn’t crossed my mind… Where did you get the new decals from? Looks a tidy job overall.

Cheers, Paul

monkeyboyjc
    andysredmini
    Free Member

I started doing my fox f120’s last night. I stripped them completely cleaned every part. Masked off the stanchions and steerer and applied some paint stripper to the existing paint. Checked this morning and the paint stripper hasn’t touched the paint. I’m wondering if its powdercoat on there.
    Back on subject, you can paint them without disassembling and stripping off the existing paint by just masking and keying the surface. But You will get a better end result by doing it properly. They are not hard to strip and put back together and if they haven’t been done for a while its a good time service them.

monkeyboyjc

in my experience your better off not sripping the paint as the existing paint gives a better key for ‘domestic’ primers than the raw magnesium. Just use various grades of wet & dry.

andysredmini
    Free Member

My paint was in too bad condition to paint over without a lot of work otherwise i would tend to agree.

smiff
    Free Member

😯 for god’s sake take the lowers off. probably needs a service anyway. 🙂

edit: umm sorry if you’re painting the crown probably no point.

that looks good and fox forks have tons of mud clearance?

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

The paint job you see was done over the top off the brown powdercoat, otherwise it would be a right pig, any small imperfections were smoothed out by applying a small amount of car body filler and sanding down- then a quick flash coat to check all is straight and to highlight anyother imperfections( deep scratches and chips) and then 4 coats of paint

Decals were from the Bay of Ees

I did try amd spray them with a clearcote afterwards but it came out shonky so wet and dried themwith1200 paper and gave them another2 coats

northernerindevon

They were serviced not so long ago and haven’t been ridden too much since then,
    so quite liking the lazyish route of leaving the lowers in situ and cracking on. Thanks for tips advice and opinions!

all the best, Paul

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Repainting Fox lower legs’ is closed to new replies.