Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Repainting a house
  • chvck
    Free Member

I’ve been tasked with the job of repainting my parents house and none of us really know what we’re doing. The house is mostly masonry with a wooden section. I’m guessing that I need masonry paint and some form of wood tint but I have quite a few questions;

Do I need to rub down the house first? (and to what degree)
    Is it better to use a roller or a brush etc…?
    How many coats?
    I need to put a foot of black around the base of the house…how do I mask off the rest of the house that I’ve already painted? Just masking tape and newspaper or will the masking tape peel off the paint?
    What’s the best way to mark out the foot high line around the house? – the ground around the house isn’t actually level!

Thanks for any help/tips given!

oldgit
    Free Member

Don’t know where my first answer went?
    I just pop into a good trade decorators shop. A company called Brewers helped me out. My house was derilict when I bought it and badly needed repainting.
    Don’t though get agressive with rubbing down, try rubbing or washing off debris.

notlocal
    Free Member

Same as oldgit, use a stiff brush to remove any paint that is flaking off, leaving the sound paint. For your black base, hire a laser level with tripod from a tool hire shop. Use a point on the house as your datum point and set the level to that point. When the level is switched on it will “spin” and give you a line to mark on the wall. Oh, buy lots of tarp for the ground around the house unless you like splatter.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

pressure washer and spray gun/compressor……

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Repainting a house’ is closed to new replies.