• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Renting/landlord advice…
  • LMT
    Free Member

After my buy a house with no money in the bank thread, I managed to sell some stuff, cash some shares had a small windfall and the last month ive been looking at property.

Been a bit of a rollercoaster, estate agents 3 out of the 4 local to me are just well lets just say have unethical practices, and tbh I got really annoyed with one as they didn’t mention a house they had until after the sold it, as they had an “A” list of customers who purchased all there goods, mortgage, solicitors and surveyors all from the same estate agents, I lost it in the office and walked out.

Well because of that I found a small no big business estate agent, we had a coffee they suggested a couple of houses and well the first one was perfect, in everyway. Offer went in, accepted and just sorted the solicitor and surveyor today, mortgage pre-approved before I started looking.

So currently I don’t have a contract for my rented flat, in fact not had one for 9 years, apart from the landlord mentioning he was going to sell, but hasn’t made any effort to we generally get on great. How much notice should I give anyone know legally or morally and I guess the bigger question is when do I tell him now? or wait for the completion date is confirmed?

thepurist

If you had an ast it will have become a periodic tenancy when the fixed term expired. A months notice is all you need give, but if you get on then it’s worth giving them a heads up.

senorj

It can easily and often does ,take up to 12 weeks for a house purchase to go through to completion/exchange of funds.
    I would sit tight until survey comes back at least …then allow 4-6 week for completion. Depending on the chain ,things can slip a week here or there .
    Seeing as you have a good relationship with landlord you may have some flexibility with moving dates,which certainly removes a lot of stress.

enfht
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re now in statutory periodic tenancy meaning if you pay monthly you only ‘need’ to give one month’s notice.

midlifecrashes

If you get on great, then tell the landlord informally, tell him you’ll keep him in the loop. He’ll want to minimize any void when you leave and line up trades to blitz the place for selling when you do.

spooky_b329

Unless your moving 300 miles, overlap the rental and completion date… Makes things so much less stressful when you are still waiting for the keys to the new place at 3pm, also means you have a day to go back and clean up the old place to get your deposit back.

Oh, and one month but if on good terms I would give them the heads up after you exchange unless you are expecting things to move very quickly.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Noooo, don’t tell the landlord whatever you do. Good relationship or not, as soon as you tell him you’re thinking of moving, he (and his agent if he uses one) has every incentive to get a new tenant in asap and may kick you out at a month’s notice, leaving you homeless and potentially locking yourself into an additional house move and anything up to 6mo period of overlap with your new house. Plus, if the house sale falls though (and they do), you’ve gone through all that for nothing.

Nothing immoral or unreasonable about it, you’re on a 1 month notice, means you have to give a month’s notice. No reasonable LL could expect more, since they haven’t offered you more.

We made the mistake of ending our tenancy when we naively expected our first house purchase to go smoothly. By the time we realised there would be delays, the LL had found a replacement tenant and we had to find somewhere to rent at no notice and were locked into a 6mo AST. In fact the purchase was so delayed that we used up almost the full 6 mo in the new place but it still wasn’t as nice as where we had been originally.

toys192
    Free Member

may kick you out at a month’s notice

If in england LL has to give two months notice, on or before a rent day. So tell him the day after rent day(the day in contract) and you effectively have 3 months grace.

br
    Free Member

If you get on great, then tell the landlord informally, tell him you’ll keep him in the loop. He’ll want to minimize any void when you leave and line up trades to blitz the place for selling when you do.

As nothing ever goes to plan I’d talk to them about this and offer to give actual notice on the day you ACTUALLY get the keys – in the overall scheme of things one months rent shouldn’t be a deal breaker. And as you’ve been there a long time you might find they’d go 50/50 as they then could get in early to decorate etc for the next tenant.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Renting/landlord advice…’ is closed to new replies.