Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Renting to a family member,tenancy advice.
  • duckman

Mr and Mrs My Brother ar home for a year as they prep a move to OZ. (She is finishing her probation as a maths teacher,he is doing another couple of qualifications) I have a house in Montrose fairly close to where I live that I am going to rent to them for the year. I have had tenants before and used a pretty good letting agent,however based on what I know of my Brother and his wife I am willing to forego the security and barrier of an agent and tbh save him a few bob as well. A google search brings up a huge number of “free” tenancy agreements,any dangers to using one of these. (They want a tenancy agreement,perhaps childhood memories of atomic wedgies and “stop hitting yourself” 😈 )

Thanks,Stuart.

boblo
    Free Member

If you rented before, use that Tenancy agreement. I did this when I rented to a family member and it was a massive PIA. Never again, ever, under any circumstances, ever. YMMV.

flamejob
    Free Member

Hang on.. this is your Brother and you even considered a letting agent?

Are you well?

peterfile
    Free Member

Have you check with your mortgage provider (or are you going to keep them in the dark?)

Family members renting generally mean a regulated buy to let mortgage due to protected tenancy rights.

wiggles
    Free Member

Check you mortgage (if you have one) my parents one prevents them from renting to family. Which they quickly pointed out to me as soon as it was available!

duckman

THanks for the advice folks,house is paid,so no mortgage issues. I will use the agreement. Flamejob,he will need references to rent when he moves,so not mad.

toys19
    Free Member

duckman I have a tenancy agreement in word format you can have at
    email me stw user name at hotmail com

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When I rented out a property through an agent I worked out they added zero benefit and took money for doing not very much.

Can do it all yourself at very little cost if you need guidance. Tennacy Agreement, bond held in 3rd party, inventory.

Don’t treat them any different to any other Tennant

crowfoot
    Free Member

Do everything by the book.

A friend of mine has just spent 6k on putting his house in order after a family friend left it in such a poor state.

If you want to do this yourself, do personnel credit checks, get deposits, get contracts drawn up noting their responsibilities as tenants inc. other charges that have to pay i.e council tax, utility bills.

You must have an Energy Performance Cert that needs to be displayed near the boiler or meter.

Your responsibilities need to be met, make sure you have fire alarms, boiler breakdown cover etc.

Loads of things to consider but the above gives you some idea.

Tread carefully.

CF.

renton
    Free Member

Same as funkydunc! My letting agent were taking a good chunk of money each month for doing sweet f a so we binned them off!

If you take a deposit make sure you register it!

Visum do a good tenancy pack

br
    Free Member

If I trusted my brother, I’d just want cash every week/month with no documentation whatsoever.

If I didn’t, I wouldn’t rent it to him.

sandwicheater

I know the let property insurance policies we issue stipulate a letting agreement must be in place.

Just get them to sign it. I’ve a generic one if you want me to email it over. Is for our office so may not be ideal. Email in profile.

winston_dog
    Free Member

If I trusted my brother, I’d just want cash every week/month with no documentation whatsoever.

This +1

Why do they want a tenancy agreement from you?

Although anything involving family can get very complicated……

geordiemick00
    Free Member

letting agent here!! I’l send you an agreement for free, I use ones which are crystal marked for clarity and approved for fairness. A lot of the free ones off the internet are way off the mark with current legislation.

info@seventy74.co.uk

Happy to answer any questions too…

flamejob
    Free Member

+2

Letting agents are, in my extensive experience with them, evil, evil people who are generally complicit to the incredibly poor state of affairs in the UK with regards to housing.

Now I live in Montreal. It is illegal to take a deposit for rental properties and the lease is given by the government with a huge leaning toward the lessee.

duckman

Geordiemick I will be in touch,thanks for the offer. Again, my brother WANTS a tenancy agreement as it is another bit of paper showing he is a good bet. As for trusting him, well he has left his fireblade AND his Kharmann Ghia in my hands for the last two years while they both worked in the States… 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Renting to a family member,tenancy advice.’ is closed to new replies.