Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Renting property, data protection and bottom feeding estate agents
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

I’m hoping the STW massif can help, please.

Mrs WebWonk is on hols at the moment to take on the thankless task of trying to find us a new flat to rent in London – when calling estate agents to make bookings to view they are all asking for significant amounts of personal data and our current address details.

Mrs WebWonk has asked why, and they all say it is for data protection – surely the best way to protect data is not to give it out?

Does anyone know what’s going on here, what the likely scams are and what the reality of data protection is?

Mrs WebWonk has refused to give data to the more odious agents, but they are effectively blocking viewings as a result.

It all seems like an unnecessary ballache before Christmas.

wwaswas

‘data protection’ is rubbish as you say (at least of your data)

two possibilities;

1) they want to protect landlords (and any resident tenants) from tyre kickers/burglars casing the joint

2) they do some sort of search for CCJ’s etc when they have your details prior to showing you around.

edit: 3) they’ll be spamming you for years with new properties. Although given rental market I’d say the agents can sit back and wait for you to chase them.

jota180
    Free Member

Just make it all up – apart from your name

You’re happy that you’ve given nothing out
    They’re happy they’ve harvested another target

whatnobeer
    Free Member

We had a similar problem with an estate agent wanting access to my flatmates academic record. He’s a funded PHd Student and had supplied all the other details including proof of income etc but refused to let them have access to that as they had no need. Their excuse was it was ‘standard procedure’. We eventually told them to do one and went somewhere else.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I would suggest making peace with it.

Giving them your details is going to pale in comparison to when they start asking you for money.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Renting property, data protection and bottom feeding estate agents’ is closed to new replies.