Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Renting House out for Golf Open – property managment company or Air B&B?
  • organic355
    Free Member

So

The “The Open” is at Carnoustie next year, and if you live in or around Carnoustie you can get silly money for renting your house out for a week (some 4 bed houses going for £15K A WEEK!).

I am a bit further out (Dundee), but have been advise I could get £4-5K for a week, so still considering it.

Have been in touch with a property management company, and they have advise I need Public liability insurance, gas safety certificates, PAT testing etc etc.

So wondering if this is the way to go, of if AIRB&B is an option? and if ou still need all this stuff?

Anyone done Air B&B, or got any advice, or anyone rented out their house for a short period for something similar?

Cheers

IHN

My ex used to rent out her house in Cheltenham for the Cheltenham Festival. I’m sure she didn’t have any of that stuff, she just did it privately.

Flaperon

Genuinely can’t help with the legal side of things but intuition says that if something unpleasant happened after you let it out for ££££, and reasonable diligence would have prevented it (gas safety check etc), I think you’d find yourself in a very difficult position.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’d use airbnb. They cover a lot of the legal stuff and don’t take a massive percentage. Plus people (renters) trust it.

In fact, I do use airbnb – but just for my spare room, not the whole place.
    I like it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Former colleague rented large’ish house out during the Open a few years back. Used an agency, renters were BBC film crew, mortgage paid off about 5 years early IIRC.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Every year my parents rent a flat out for the edinburgh festival ( Students for ten months generally happy to not be tied and often return after the festival)

As it’s rented anyway it’s up to spec but presumably you’d need intumescent strips etc in doors?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m a 20 minute walk from Royal Troon, but know very, very few folk that actually do it locally.

Lots of the quoted money is exaggerated, and tax and fees if using management co make it less attractive too.

That, and the idea of a load of pissed up yanks in yer hoose always put me off.

YMMV.

rickmeister

Maybe try the golf course directly or place the option of the property with them… ?

Muir field had a section on the website for local rental properties…

Swelper
    Free Member

Differing rental laws in Scotland than England in terms of elec certs etc

Such costs would be negligible in terms of return.

Suggest an ad in a golf mag or in a golf website.

Plenty time to think about it, hang fire till nearer the time which may command a higher premium

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Renting House out for Golf Open – property managment company or Air B&B?’ is closed to new replies.