Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Renting a room out to a lodger…advice please.
  • sam3000

Hi….

I’m very close to finishing the refurbishment of my house (first time buyer)

I’m looking to rent a room out, most likely to a stranger, if not hopefully it’ll be a mate.

Does anyone know where to seek advice on contracts, or indeed have any advice they give me.

The room will be furnished and i’m wanting to have a short term contra?

Any advice/ do’s dont’s direction would be great please

myti
    Free Member

Spare room.com. Had lots of great lodgers from there and some are now good friends for life.

Swelper
    Free Member

+1 for Spare room.com

I have a contract if you need one, mail in profile

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

+2 for Spareroom.com.

Last Sept I took the plunge and rented out a room. Advertised on Spareroom.com. Had 8 or 9 enquiries in the first week of advertising. The guy I took on bizarrely turned out to be an old old friend I hadn’t seen in 30 years. He rented for 3 months and he was hardly ever here. Easiest £1k I’ve ever made.

Just readvertised the room and only had one enquiry. She moved in 10 days ago and has been no trouble at all so far.

Personally I haven’t bothered with any written agreements. I like to think I’m a good judge of character. Though you can download perfectly good free templates off t’intenet.

Would also recommend keeping the rent below £4250pa, then you don’t have to declare it ( see rent-a-room scheme).

sam3000

Great….

I’ve just had a quick look at spare room .com and also lodgers.com.

Some really useful info.

Just a bit wary of the unknown of the moment.

Think I’m going to post an ad up.

The house is in New Mill Holmfirth if anyone’s interested !!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Renting a room out to a lodger…advice please.’ is closed to new replies.