Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Renting a flat: what do I need to know?
  • LardLover
    Free Member

I’m in the position of needing to rent a flat. Never rented before so don’t know what to expect fees etc! (Had a mortgage since I was 22!)

Can anyone tell me what I’m likely to have to fork out before I can move into somewhere.

Anyone got a room to rent in the Heaton area of Newcastle (or closer to the Freeman Hospital?!) for a couple of months till I find somewhere (for a 40yr* old professional)

Cheers

*might be the other side of 40. Oh, and I’m a roadie……!!

chambord
    Free Member

5 weeks rent as deposit + £100-200 in agency fees depending on poshness of agency/place.

If you find somewhere private on gumtree you can get away without the fees, but they might want a few quid to do a credit check.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Try and rent through a private landlord if you can.

An agency will rinse you for all the cash they can.

nickjb
    Free Member

Try and rent through a private landlord if you can.

+1

Look on gumtree and in free ads paper. Dealing direct with the landlord is better for both parties.

northernmatt

If you do go through an agency chances are you’ll be signed up to a six month contract. Check any inventory meticulously and add ANY marks or damage that are already there onto it and make sure you keep a copy because agencies are a right pain in the arse for trying to withhold deposits.

iolo
    Free Member

Really keep away from letting agent scum.
    They just want money.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What they said, spare room, gumtree etc to avoid the agencies.

If you go through an agency stick with smaller ones, IME one man bands looking after ~100 peroperties tend to be far better than high street estate/letting agents.

If your first impression of the landlord isn’t absolutely 100% great, then they’re a money grabbing douchebag. Assume your relationship* with them will only ever get worse from the time before you hand over ££££’s at the start till you leave, so best fined one you’re amicable with to start with.

* it’s a relationship, they will expect the be allowed to go through your washing, suck up all your money, let themselves in with their key anytime and complain about the washing up. Just imagine it’s your worst ex girlfriend ever, except she also holds the power of eviction over you and there’s no nookie, and you’ll be close to imagining a landlord.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If you do go through an agency chances are you’ll be signed up to a six month contract. Check any inventory meticulously and add ANY marks or damage that are already there onto it and make sure you keep a copy because agencies are a right pain in the arse for trying to withhold deposits.

And when you get to the end of the six month contract, and want to extend, they’ll charge you money.

nickc

Really keep away from letting agent scum.
    They just want money.

Alternatively, a contract, an assured lease, not dealing with landlords who still still think they can come and go as they please, deposit held in a scheme, and no shitting about with it when it comes time to leave.

Lifer
    Free Member

I rent through an agency but all contact for maintenance/problems etc is direct with the landlord. Luckily he’s a great bloke (gave me £50 for fixing a leak with a 5p washer 😀 ) but we’re paying fees and he’s paying fees for nothing but paperwork.

Money for old rope (see also recruitment agencies)

As northernmatt said inventory is VERY important to agree on because they will try and screw you out of deposit, also send of meter readings on the very first day you move in. First flat I moved into the agency were ‘taking care of utilities switchover’ – but this didn’t include providing a final meter reading from previous tenants…which was lovely – and expensive.

fionap

Your deposit should be in a protected scheme if you’re on an assured short hold tenancy, whether it’s with a landlord or letting agent.

finephilly
    Free Member

It’s called the tennancy deposit protection scheme. I’ve not had to use it but assume it’s handy in the event of a dispute over damage/wear n tear/ cleaning/ whatever. I also take photos and check what the landlord is like with visitors, parking, being on DSS, pets etc.

Kuco

Check any inventory meticulously and add ANY marks or damage that are already there

No matter how small or trivial you think it is make a record of it.

Like Lifer I go through a Agency but landlady sorts out problems and she’s pretty good on getting things sorted pretty quickly when they do occur.

brooess
    Free Member

Expect the standard to be crap – much lower than you’d get in a place you own.

Don’t make the mistake I did and google the agent/landlord after you’ve signed the lease and find they have a reputation for witholding deposits on departure based on false claims… do this before!

Do use one of the secure deposit schemes – if they refuse to then they’re crooks – no-one genuine would be unhappy with you wanting to do this – walk away.

Do make your own inventory and photos (of absolutely everything) the day you move in (time-stamped) and again when you move out so you have your own evidence of the condition of the place…

Worth employing professional cleaners when you move out – many do ‘end of rental’ cleans. Not cheap but if you choose one with consistently good online reviews and you have a receipt and photos of a pristine flat then it’s harder for any agent or landlord to suggest you didn’t leave the place in good nick

+1 re avoiding agents if at all possible. I’ve never met one who wasn’t a cynical, stupid liar…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You want a professional small time landlord with a number of properties who is honest and straight up with enough cash flow to pay proper tradesmen to do any repairs etc. The flat will of course come with on demand strippers and cola and rugby front rows all for free….

Depending on your timescales
    1 property landlords – we are landlords because we needed to move and couldn’t sell are risky, having the cash flow or professionalism to sort things out is not guaranteed. Also may just put it on the market at the 6month mark
    If the landlord is remote with no agent then getting things done is tough
    Agents suck the fees, take the cash and do nothing but they can be useful.
    Take photos on move in (before anything goes in – shoes off at the door photographs of everything and double check the inventory. Make a more detailed one if necessary (think as if you were renting it out) and send copies to the landlord/agent.
    Legally deposit is within a DPS which gives you lots more rights these days.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Renting a flat: what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.