Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Renthal SR4 Chainrings – Reversible?
  • level
    Free Member

Hi there,

A friend and I are planning a trip across the Americas in April, the bikes are almost built, last thing to sort is the chain-ring.

We really want a durable chainring that can be flipped over when one side is worn, is the Renthal SR4 Chainring able to do this?

Also, will it work ok with a 3/32″ KMC X1 Chain ?

Hope you guys can help, any other recommendations of chain-rings would be great!

you can see our website for our trip here if you’d like http://www.cycling-south.co.uk

andyl
    Free Member

Don’t know about the Renthal but the Surly one can and it’s stainless so should last ages.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I had a renthal for a while, pretty sure it has offset teeth,

If it definitely does then your hub may allow (with spacers) some adjustment.

I run a stainless surly on my main SS bike, The renthal didn’t last very long.

I also used 1/8″ chain on it. So yours should be fine.

scoobmw
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of these recently – they’re reversible. For example I’ve reversed mine as ‘standard’ for my 1×10 setups because of the way the chainring bolts would sit.
    I actually asked the company last year if I could mount the ring the other way round and got a Yes back.

scoobmw
    Free Member

No idea about chains though – using standard KMC 10sp ones.

Anthony
    Free Member

For long distance use the unramped Stainless steel Surly one is hard to beat. I would be very surprised if it will even need flipping. Completely flat though so can without issue.

3/32 chain is fine, as is anything up to 9sp IME.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It can be reversed no problem.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

absolutely go stainless. I run a Surly on my commuter.

level
    Free Member

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the quick replies, very helpful.

We did a bit of research a couple of months back, and alot of people said that the Surly chainrings werent so good because they can bend / warp quite easily and that they are noisy…but I think we might go with the surly now after all of the suggestions.

Just to be sure, are there any other chainrings that we should consider besides surly? :S

Thans for all your help!!

Lvl,

fhendry1
    Free Member

on one stainless ones?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i would say surly too, got one on my pomp that’s been going strong (still on first side) for ages now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Renthal SR4 Chainrings – Reversible?’ is closed to new replies.