Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Renthal Kevlar Lock On Grips
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

a few people i know are raving about these, are they really the holy grail of grips? comfort is a massive thing for me, arm pump etc etc

im gonna have a look at some today on lunch hour, but interested to know anyones thoughts on them….

ive used, peaty grips, ergons, raceface etc but never the renthals, opionions/comparisons appreciated

patriotpro
    Free Member

However good they are, they cannot be £25 good.

Non-removable end caps and locking collars I believe…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

locking collar is a bonus to me, the older ones were just push on type, so lock on wont move really…can only be a good thing

any more views on them?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkattack

However good they are, they cannot be £25 good

stevede
    Free Member

Probably the most over hyped product of the last few years imo. I have them and i do like them but they aren’t anything amazing, i loved the push on renthals and was hoping these would be similar but they are a fair bit fatter, i have the kevlars on my everyday bike and the supersoft ones on my bigger bike. Quite like the supersofts but neither are as good as the push ons for me (apart from the fact that they stay in place better).

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I have the standards and love them. Soft, comfy, grippy and durable.

For me, the lock on looses the key benefit of the softness by being larger diameter and having the hard centre.

Standard grips, grip glue and wire go nowhere. Only an issue if you swap components with non-split clamps often.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I meant that they are a one-piece item unlike some others where you can interchange the collars grip and end cap if one of them breaks or wears out.

Northwind

I’ve only ever had the push-on kevlars move once that I can remember, and even that was on a first ride after fitting so probably user error. Then again I know the difference between a pushiron and motorbike so I tend not to twist them 😉

Pain to change controls etc around though if you don’t have compressed air!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well i used these yesterday night for a good 15 miler peak route and i must say im impressed, even with a liner glove on too the grip was immense, much more so than my ergons, and i noticed no pain at all on the rocky death grip descents, hopefully will be a good buy! impressed after 1 ride

patriotpro
    Free Member

Which ones did you go for?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I have the Kevlar Lock Ons-I like them a lot. They seem good quality and have plenty of grip. I have also noticed that other riders who had the ‘standard’ glue on ones were running them until they were almost worn totally away but they were still grippy which hopefully means the £25 will be worth it if these last similarly long times.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

patriot – they are the new kevlar ones – i had the option of all 3 compounds and felt them, the kevlar just felt right, without being to soft or hard….impressed as i say, time will tell though…

look pretty cool too in the kevlar

mattjg
    Free Member

Is the end cap a separate part that plugs into the bars, or is the outboard collar/cap a single piece? (Like Superstar do, pic below).

mandog

I like the push on ones because they are thin and long. They do migrate inwards after a while though. So I stuck a lock ring on the inside from some locking grips.

These new Renthal lock ons loose the appeal though as there appears to be less grip length and I assume they are not so skinny.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty happy with mine (super soft ones due to blisters from cheap Ruffian copies). The only downside is that they’re only available in white.

They’re properly grippy a d seem to be wearing well too.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve had some and they’re now on the hardtail. They’re pretty good but not amazing. The compound is really grippy but as soon as they get wet or muddy then there’s really not a lot of grip there.

I maintain that the best all round grip I’ve ever used is ODI’s Troy Lee Designs ones. The compound is soft and grippy and the grid pattern means that they’re still grippy when they and your gloves are covered in mud and water.

hugh_b
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of the kevlars, have always run ODI ruffians but as these had Renthal written on them i thought i’d give them a go 😆 and the compound is pretty sticky. Very pleased with them, one of those things you put on the bike and just use provided they are comfy, when they wear out (no signs of any wear yet) i’ll buy them again. All-round very pleased

rb
    Free Member

I got the gray ones, and there spot on nicest feel grips I’ve had

legend
    Free Member

Just got a set a few weeks ago. Very good grips, just not as good as my (discontinued) Sunline Slims 🙁

somafunk

After reading about them i bought into the hype and ordered some at stupid expense for what they are, used them for one ride and quickly removed them as i much prefer my Odi Troy Lee grips – i didn’t like the compound nor the very hard feel without gloves, got my grey (soft compound) renthal grips on the classifieds if anyone want’s them.

robarnold
    Free Member

I had a pair on a few weeks ago but have taken them off as I found the outer collar hurt the outside of my hands. Used Renthals on my trials bike for years and loved them but have gone back to a pair of Bonty lock ons with only one collar and a sealed end, also means you can hang the grip off the end of the bar an extra 10mm

legend
    Free Member

Somafunk, did you even give then time to break in a bit? Every new or replacement grip I’ve ever had has felt shot for the first few rides.

Rob, 20mm wider bars, hand positioned inside of the collar – sorted 😉

honourablegeorge

getonyourbike – Member

I maintain that the best all round grip I’ve ever used is ODI’s Troy Lee Designs ones. The compound is soft and grippy and the grid pattern means that they’re still grippy when they and your gloves are covered in mud and water.

+1 on the Troy Lees, they really are ace.

kelvin

I’m supposed to be trying out the super soft ones, but injury means I’m just looking at them occasionally.

They looks nice.

Northwind

The slip-on ones are still working perfectly for me, fwiw 😉

Some folks on this thread seem to have bought the normal soft ones, rather than the kevlar ones, which is getting a wee bit off the topic maybe… The soft ones are pretty ordinary, the kevlar ones at least bring something different to the table- excellent grip and comfort but hard wearing.

Sancho
    Free Member

I’d say arm pump is not an issue resolved by the pattern or material of a grip, although, people with bigger hands have found the fatter grips effective at reducing arm pump.
    all you can do is to stretch out your fingers before riding and relax your grip.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Renthal Kevlar Lock On Grips’ is closed to new replies.