Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Renovating forks
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Few years old Lyrik RC2DH solo air (about 4 years maybe), has a few scratches in, a couple a little deep though not structurally an issue, and a fair amount of paint chipped off in places and cable rub, decals scuffed up.

Pretty much all in the lowers. There’s a tiny spec of a stanchion scratch, though don’t think it’s an issue. Coating still okay.

Any options for renovating them to bring them up looking reasonable, but not at the cost of a new fork?

Stanchions I guess you could even have Kashima’d

Replacement lowers I guess is an option, but guessing they’ll be as much as a second hand anyway (suppose I could get a second hand one in good nick and swap the lowers, though always the risk the bushes might be screwed in the second hand and then they’re dead so new lowers again).

Or I just live with the look and run them into the ground until I decide on a replacement.

andyl
    Free Member

It it was me I would do a full seal service. Check the bushes. Check for any proud scratches on the stanchions and fix if needed and then touch up the paintwork with a touch up pen.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bushes are good, and was going to do a seal service as one has blown, but otherwise functionally fine. Just looks scruffy. Doesn’t help when you buy new forks for your other bike and all looks shiny and new by comparison 😀

takisawa2

Remove & respray the lowers, new decals.
    They will look ace.

deadkenny
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    It it was me I would do a full seal service. Check the bushes. Check for any proud scratches on the stanchions and fix if needed and then touch up the paintwork with a touch up pen.

Basically what I did in the end. Surprised the touch up stuff wasn’t as noticeable as I thought. Bit of gentle sanding and polishing and looked great.

Serviced fine, bushes fine.

Then stumbled on my little shoe shine thing. It’s a funky magic sponge thing impregnated with silicone. Thought, why not, and gave it a rub over the lowers. Wow! Unless you look close it’s looking like new!

Does require reapplication after some muddy rides and cleaning to make the touch up bits look as shiny again, but it’s one wipe.

Though probably my old trick of a wipe with furniture polish would do the job too. Just thought the shoe thing was neat.

😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Renovating forks’ is closed to new replies.