Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Renovating a house – Help needed
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Hi there.
    As always there is bound to be someone on here that can help.
    I am looking in to buying a property that is in need of renovating. nothing to major like knocking walls down but will probably need central heating, rewiring, new kitchen and bathroom and decorating.
    Now obviously because I’m posting on here I`m not able to do most of these but just want some advice on the order in which to get these done. I.e Plastering before rewiring and central heating.
    All help welcome.

phil.w
    Free Member

[list][*]Rip everything out.[/*]
    [*]Do all the messy/dust creating jobs i.e. sanding, wall chasing for electrics / plumbing.[/*]
    [*]First fix electrics / plumbing[/*]
    [*]Plaster.[/*]
    [*]Second fix electrics / plumbing.[/*]
    [*]Put new kitchen & bathroom in & decorate[/*][/list]

Saying that, there will always be bits you do out of order. Such as painting round light switch boxes before second fix electrics, then painting rest of wall once electrician is out.

Mooly
    Free Member

Simple then.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I love how a rewire is nothin major.

You have no idea how major a rewire is if it is done propper and to relevent regs

Id sooner remove walls than rewire again !

Order of stuff

Rewire – replumb – replaster

Anything else is double handling.

TooTall
    Free Member

Do as much of it as possible before moving in. It is much easier to treat it as a building site for a couple of months and get the big jobs done.

johndoh
    Free Member

But an incredibly important thing to think about from the outset is the siting of electrics, plumbing, radiators etc so you will need to think about eventual kitchen/bathroom design etc so you aren’t compromised by poorly situated fixings.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Is this for profit or to live in?

LenHankie

Having had our last two properties rewired, it’s something I never want to have to do again. It basically wrecks the whole place so that even if it didn’t need plastering or redecorating before, it certainly will afterwards.

Being a tightarse, I insist on doing the plastering and decorating myself, so the scene of devastation normally lasts 2 or 3 yrs before I’ve finished putting it right.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I love how a rewire is nothin major

I was going to say the same thing, rewiring and re plumbing is normally much more of a big job than knocking a wall down!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Renovating a house – Help needed’ is closed to new replies.