Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Renauly Megane hub-cap removal
  • toyrobot
    Free Member

I don’t drive or own a car, this is with regard to the Mrs’ automobile.
    Clunking coming from front wheel when steering. I can see the coil twist and judder into place as Mrs steers (whilst parked. I’ve not got her driving past me doing big skiddy corners). A friend is the local mechanic and via FB told me to take wheel off and see if coil is broken. If it is, do not drive. Trouble is, the car, a Renault Megane (enter “that’s your problem” comments here) which has a massive bolt holding the hubcap cover on and a silly little plastic key to remove it – which of course has been broken but thoughtfully replaced by previous garage. Why Renault would think a plastic key would remove a solid metal bolt is beyond me.
    I’ve tried battering it from an angle with hammer and thick nail (mounted into one of the three key locators – nowt doing).
    I though i could just smash the hubcap off but it looks like the bolt is also holding the wheel on. I see that one other wheel has obviously had this problem and the bolt has been sheered off somehow.
    Anyone had similar problems and how the hell did you sort it out?

simon430
    Free Member

I think I know what you mean, the cover that goes over the wheel nuts, the screw thing can also corrode into the alloy so you might need to use a suitably sized screwdriver and hammer and hope for the best.

toyrobot
    Free Member

aye, that’s the one. I seems SOLID. Spent a good few minutes with a hammer and a steel pointy thing battering away but nowt. Also gave the bolt a good soaking with penetrant but it’s not looking to have made a difference.
    We’re meant to be picking the kids up in an hour or so but until the coil can be looked at, that car’s going nowhere.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dont bother taking the wheel off

turn the wheel fully to the right.

you should be able to see behind the wheel then.

look at the bottom of the coil , usually they fail on the last couple of coils.

dont drive anywhere except the garage (slowely – or ideally have it collected on a tow truck) it if it has snapped – they can end up in the front tire and youll have a blow out – it will also be incredibly hard to drive and pull to one side and have really heavy steering.

then the garage can worry abotu geting the nut off – which they will manage no bother 😉

springs are about 50 quid each and youll probably be told you need to swap them both ……. not going to tell you other wise but ive never come ill of not replacing both

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Which mk Megane is it?

Even if the spring is broken, it shouldn’t ‘judder’ around as the steering is turned.

Possible from the description is that the strut bearing has seized/collapsed which is not uncommon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Renauly Megane hub-cap removal’ is closed to new replies.