Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Renault Twingo electrical issues, again. *Sigh* Any help possible?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So, not a million miles removed from my last post on this subject. Our Twingo is playing up again..

Our car is a Twingo Freeway. 1.2 8v, ’10 plate. It’s done about 19,000 miles.

From cold it’s stated misfiring, and over time this has got worse to the point that it barely runs on the first start, sometimes. The Spanner and Engine lights come on for some time after the misfire too. Vibration can be felt through the gearstick at that time.

Usually either a couple more starts, or a few minutes of driving, or idling with the foot gently on the gas will clear it. It also seems to be using more fuel than before the problem started.

It’s just come back from an MOT and has passed, even the emissions.

After a few minutes of driving, the car feels fine.

The garage tried changing the HT leads, but that wasn’t it. They also used some sort of datalogger to read the error logs, apparently it said: misfire on cyl2, and, later on cyl 4 – this confused them because the issue seems to have moved. Their suggestion is to take it to a Renault garage because they will have various spare parts to try, whereas this garage will be be ordering chargeable parts which may, or, may not fix the problem. At its last service it had one sparkplug changed, but I guess this is not the issue as the misfire moves. The garage that did the MOT said they’ve pulled the plugs and checked the gap etc. No problem found there…

So – any suggestions? I have a basic knowledge of cars, a multimeter and a few spanners/sockets. What can I test myself to help minimise the labour costs if we take it to dealer?

I’m thinking maybe a sensor issue somewhere? Temperature?

Can I tell if the coil is out of spec in some way?

Anyway – cheers in advance for the help, or even for just reading this far 🙂

Regards,

Sam

ampthill

I think in essence the garage advice is correct.

It needs a Renault/ electrical expert and a Renault dealership might be the way to find such and expert

Our Renault Scenic had the cabin fan stop working which wrecked the aircon

Thousands of pounds of warranty work later air con was fixed but fan stopped again.

Eventually the guy who sold us the car went to a Renault dealer who for about £80 including parts made a wiring loom change that solved the problem. Apparently it was a known fault

So some how you need an expert. Another garage i use had some error codes checked electrical consultant they brought in

I don’t think you checking thing will help much as the control electronics now seems very complicated

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Okay, that’s probably the right thing to do then.

Thanks.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

On the Twingo forum a Renault Tech has suggested a crappy battery. I’ll check that out as that’s an easy one.

I’ll let you know what it was when we’ve fixed it 🙂

steveh

Coil pack could well give those symptoms assuming those engines have them (pretty much all modern petrols do).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Coil Pack is next stop I think.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It went away by itself……

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Renault Twingo electrical issues, again. *Sigh* Any help possible?’ is closed to new replies.