Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Renault trafic users – dad / bike info
  • rooney
    Free Member

Looking for general information about trafic vans as daily commute runs (40 mile round trip) and as bike storage fun for me, bike, trailer, daughter, wife and dog
    The good, bad and ugly
    Cheers

doug_basqueMTB.com

I use a Renault Traffic, 9 seater LWB and love it. It´s very comfy to drive and I can get 6 people and 6 bikes easily, or 9 people and the bikes go in a trailer. It´s the 2.5l diesel version and pulls well and has been reliable. I had an issue with the computer thingy that meant the air conditioning put the engine into safety mode but it was resolved pretty cheaply. I also run an older, bigger Opel MOvano which is basically a Renault Traffic. It´s the 350 one so is HUGE, like 9 bikes and 9 people easily inside it. It´s done almost 300,000km and I had to change the gearbox but the engine has been good to me. Both good vans and I wouldn´t hesitate to buy the same again.

banks
    Free Member

Was just about to say Doug aka Basque mtb has one, i liked it – managed to sleep during most of time in there so must be comfy & quiet.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Even with my driving 🙂

divenwob
    Free Member

I have a swb bought on 62k,replaced the gearbox at 70k,no probs since (92k)and now looking for a lwb crew cab for the wife to drive!

PePPeR

We run them for work and have 20 of them doing upto 50,000 miles a year.

They’ve been excellent vehicles, far far better than the Transits we had previously!

They average 33-34 to the gallon fully loaded and driven at work speed! I could get over 38 mig driven reasonably.

We have the 2.0 Nissan engined versions which are from 06 and are the sportive versions which get air con and lots of other extras.

There are 2 wheelbases make sure you choose which one you want! And you can get some amazing deals on them new.

We pay £16k including vat for ours new.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I drove an 05 plate around Spain for 9 mths with my bike and windsurfing gear, bloody good van that. SWB 2ltr D and racked out in the back with a suspended floor for sleeping with my sails underneath and boards in the rack, bike on a hoist from the roof.
    It never put a foot wrong until I filled the dash up with seawater from my boards (after a hasty exit from a beach) then the radio/air con packed in, radio I could do without but needed the aircon so that was fixed in a shack of a garage on the outskirts of Sevilla with a part from a vectra…
    My mate still runs it and it’s looking as good now as then.

totalshell

we have an 04 trafic van for work now on 101k. its had its ups, great on motorways 40mpg 6 spd’s 3 seats in the front a good shed on wheels swallows tonnes of gear..

1st recommendation join the aa it will break down the electrics are bish other bits go as well but never having had a service in the last 80k not even an oil change all in i d have a another tomorrow.

peajay

SWB crew van here, bought new last year, average 32mpg around town and 42mpg on a steady 50mph ish longer run. Can fit 5 bikes in across the way with front wheels off and room on top for holdalls with rest of gear in, can’t fault it, would have liked a vw but got a good deal on the trafic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For commuting in a van make sure you have a few copies of the Sun & Nuts etc on the dash along with 150 pens and other assorted stuff, it will make the 50/50’s much easier.

Joking aside look at some permanent/semi permanent solutions for storing small items – like shopping and the dog. Some bike racking/storage stuff to hold them in place and taking a few more. Depending on how you feel about it you can get the fork mounts for roof racks fairly cheaply which will you can bolt on to things.

In your transit we also used bungee cargo net form halfords for roof storage putting soft/light things like sleeping bags up there out of the way of mud.

If your going to go away with it look at awnings for shade/shelter etc.

rooney
    Free Member

Cheers for the info. Jnr is 16 months and we bought a galaxy as a compromise when she was born. The old estate is now going so I’m playing my van card again and the mrs gets the galaxy 🙂

The galaxy is great but I’m after a van easier to throw bike, trailer and dog in for quick weekend cruises

Seen a crew cab and also a 1.9 swb diesel.

Hmmm….

chakaping
    Free Member

we have an 04 trafic van for work now on 101k. its had its ups, great on motorways 40mpg 6 spd’s 3 seats in the front a good shed on wheels swallows tonnes of gear..

1st recommendation join the aa it will break down the electrics are bish other bits go as well but never having had a service in the last 80k not even an oil change all in i d have a another tomorrow.

07 Vivaro SWB crew cab 2.0 here, 90k-ish.

Agree with the above assessment pretty much. Electrics are awful, but it drives nicely enough and is good on the motorway with the 6-speed gearbox, despite being pretty unrefined compared to the Mondeo I used to drive.

Hasn’t broken down and left me stranded yet though, despite a few weeks in the Alps last summer (touches wood).

Brilliant for family trips, hope to keep it for many years.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have an 07 Trafic Crew LWB here. 2.5 Quickshift.
    Drives like a big car, 32-35 mpg, takes six plus six bikes with the racking in place.
    Only reason I’m now selling it is new house has no room to keep it!!

bowie278
    Free Member

I’m a van dealer rooney, and Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar’s are our best selling vans. Reliable, economical, comfortable and normally straightforward if anything goes wrong. And we’ve got a lovely LWB Vivaro in stock 😉 let me know if you want any help.

rooney
    Free Member

I’m not close but yeh send me a link to it please
    Cheers

rooney
    Free Member

With a 1.9 diesel trafic am i looking at roughly 35-38mpg ?

totalshell

38/42 avg on mine around town.. thats a plumbers van full of junk but driven like an old man..

rooney
    Free Member

That’s good! I’m in garage this afternoon ….. Don’t tell the mrs

bowie278
    Free Member

Yeah I’d say approx 35mpg rooney. Vivaro can be found here – thanks.

http://www.meridianvehicles.co.uk/26434/used-comms.htm

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Renault trafic users – dad / bike info’ is closed to new replies.