Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • removing xtr crank dust cap
  • tails
    Free Member

so i lost my job, my dads in hospital, my macbook hasjust **** broke and now this most backward of designs is causing me trouble.

so short of taking a blow torch to it how o i remove this dust cap as itsstuck fast.

i can remove the bolt if that helps but i need to get the dust cap out to remove the crank arm 😥

foxyrider
    Free Member

Don't know what you mean about dust cap? Ahh you mean the plastic collar to protect the crank bolt. Yup you need teh crank extractor tool!

sorry to hear about your job and Dad – don't break it or you'll be peed off with that at well! From great experience!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

the back side of the tool that came with the cranks has a pin tool for removing it. it has a reverse thread BTW.

tails
    Free Member

yeah i have the tool its just stuck like i put glue on it but i prbably greased it, really infuriating as there was nothing wrong with the system they use on all their other cranks.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I heard you shouldn't take out the alu bolt before you have taken the sleeve off. I think there was a old STW post about this – Put the bolt in and tignten it up – then perhaps try taking the sleeve off? have you tried putting a metal rod thought the tool to be able to give it more torque?

njee20
    Free Member

Aye you shouldn't have removed the bolt first, the tool screws in place of the collar to act as a self extracting cap. Not sure if it will contribute to the collar being stuck, it's only plastic you can't torque it up too much!

tails
    Free Member

woohoo it is removed. as its just a dust cap i can do with out right? alternativly i could put wax or playdough in its place. sorry for my english i can't be arsed.

tails
    Free Member

thanks for your replies

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup def not need it just stops the cr@p getting in and fouling the threads on the cranks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘removing xtr crank dust cap’ is closed to new replies.