Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Removing XT M770 chainset
  • spacemonkey

Having a numpty moment having not done one of these for a while. Need to replace existing chainrings on the above, but how do I remove the them in the first place? Looks like I need a tool (BB remover or crank puller type thing) to remove the left arm first, then slide out the right so as to get access to the rings.

Have already got another full M770 chainset but don't want to change the BB and don't see the point in replacing the arms either.

Any ideas?

TVM

njee20
    Free Member

Undo the 5mm allen bolts, use a TL-FC16 (or a 20p) to undo the bolt at the end, remove LH crank arm, bash with rubber mallet to remove RH crank.

jcromton
    Free Member

First undo the 5mm bolts on the non- drive side arm. Then remove the bearing preload platic thingy at the end, using the tool or if you're lucky fingers or a set of pliers.

Then the driveside should just slide out, or with a bit of careful rubber mallet work on the axle. Very very simple.

jcromton
    Free Member

I like the 20p tip Nick.

njee20
    Free Member

It certainly works on the XTR M960 ones which are totally hollow, I forget if the XT ones are?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I "think" you only need to remove the cranks/axle if you need to remove the granny ring – I certainly have changed the outer chinring without removing the cranks ?

Any help?

naokfreek
    Free Member

+1 foxy..managed to get middle and outer off without taking the cranks off at all…

spacemonkey

Excellents advice – job now done, thanks all.

PS couldn't work out how to remove middle ring with crank still on, so had to remove the whole lot anyway (20p didn't work strangely, but angled pair of scissors did).

Cheers
    SM

Skyliner
    Free Member
    phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

I'd suggest that if you need to use a rubber mallet to get the cranks off then you might want to consider getting the bb shell faced.

Mister-P
    Free Member

My BB shell is faced and I used a rubber mallet to tap my cranks together.

njee20
    Free Member

My BB shell is faced thanks, but a small whack with a rubber mallet is easier than pushing it out by hand. Not sure I see the relationship there anyway!?

spacemonkey

Skyliner, I probably will buy the tool … but luckily the whole thing came out by hand – didn't even need to use a mallet.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Any tips for getting the non drive side crank off the spline? I tried a few months ago but it seemed well and truely stuck so I just changed the 2 outer rings and left the granny alone.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Any tips for getting the non drive side crank off the spline?

Thread the end cap off a turn or two and give it a tap with a soft-headed mallet or with a cloth covered hammer. Once it breaks free from the seal at the other end it should slide out as normal.

foxyrider
    Free Member

hmm – never had one stick – BTW it does have a locating pin inside a little plastic wedge between the two sides of the ND crank – you have to lift this before removing? I always grease the end of the axle before refitting the ND crank 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Removing XT M770 chainset’ is closed to new replies.