Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Removing stickers from Ti frame/polishing
  • martinhurton
    Free Member

Any tips on the best way to remove stickers from a Ti frame? I’d like to remove a couple from my Lucky Strike, they won’t just peel off I don’t think. Also what is teh best way to polish out a few light scratches (from cable rub and friends bike rubbing against it in the car).

Thanks, Martin

jimw
    Free Member

Heat the stickers with a hair dryer on very hot? this usually works on applied decals

I found scotchbrite pads quite effective and not too rough, or if a bit deeper, very fine wire wool?

Should say, as always, try on a patch not usually visible to check results before applying all over!

druidh
    Free Member

Nail varnish remover on some cotton wool to take them off and then a quick rub with some Duraglit.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks, I shall give both methods a go on a small area.

Swayndo
    Free Member

I just pour boiling water on stickers. It always seems to work.

teasel
    Free Member

Nail varnish remover on some cotton wool to take them off and then a quick rub with some Duraglit.

Heh, changed your tune since the Evo Ti thread, eh. 🙂

OP – Have a butch at a thread I started before you choose use anything other than hot water. It was an education for me…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/removing-paint-from-ti-frame

martinhurton
    Free Member

Hmm, thanks. Will try the free method of boiling water first I think. Sounds safest! Will crack on next weekend. Just want to declutter the frame a bit.

druidh
    Free Member

Nope. You wanted to remove paint, the OP wants to remove the decals. I used the nail varnish remover (it’s acetone you need NVR is just an easy way to get some) on my Airborne-alike Ti frame a few years back.

amplebrew

According to Moots

I was told by a titanium frame builder that if you need to remove any ghosting left by the original decals, you need to use a very fine scothbrite pad and rub it around the frame tube rather than along the tube (Hope that makes sense)

teasel
    Free Member

I wasn’t referring to my thread. As stated; the Photos of Evo Ti thread…

It’ll come off with some IPA and a bit of Duraglit

…thought it was rather amusing considering the info Macavity posted on my thread.

Anyway, no biggy. Just ribbing ya…

druidh
    Free Member

Hmm – I’ve just had a look at that thread and I can’t for the life of me work out why I mentioned IPA 😳 As above, I’ve successfully used acetone for just that job. I can only put it down to senility. 😥

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

It happens to the best of us. I use the same reason to get out of all manner of cock-ups, though I don’t think the missus is convinced…

“I hit the submit button and ended-up with a new Ti frame. Must be going senile…”

TiRed

I use a proper heat gun to remove stickers. On a low setting. I bought it for paint (it’s not that good to be honest). But stickers are a doddle. Clean up with nail varnish remover.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Removing stickers from Ti frame/polishing’ is closed to new replies.