Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Removing square taper cranks with stripped thread
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

My mates brought her triban round to put some new cranks on she’s bought. Her husband has tried to get them off but stripped the threads on the cranks.

Any idea of how to get the bleeders off now?

nickjb
    Free Member

Possible with a bearing puller. You may need a spacer and I’ve found a jubilee clip round the forks of the puller keeps in place

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Brilliant. I haven’t got a bearing puller!

paule
    Free Member

If the old ones are knackered, just ride then with the bolts out and they will come loose

Phil_H

I’ve used a cold chisel and a big hammer before.
    It can make a mess of the cranks though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

ball joint splitter.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Really? I’ll try that now!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Hmm riding it with bolts off hasn’t worked. Only had chance to nip round the block though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Only do that if you don’t plan on using the cranks again.

theotherjonv

If the crank threads are ****, so are the cranks basically (ok, you could put them back on but they’ll never be right again)

So, you can either whack at the back with a hammer and drift. Or, hacksaw through the axle and take crank and axle off as one.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I don’t they’re knackered. She’s putting new ones on. Will
    That Definately work?

Yak

Might as well cut them off with a hacksaw then. Be careful not to cut into the spindle, unless you are replacing the BB too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

pfft take an angle grinder to them quicker and more fun

As above avoid the actual BB axle

slimjim78
    Free Member

ignore the axle, grind to oblivion, replace with modern BB set up – never let the taper darken your days again.
    Hateful standard.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I cut the last ones off but I’ve heard of people using a blow torch.

Sundayjumper

…just ride then with the bolts out and they will come loose

I tried that once BITD, rode the bike for weeks with no bolt and it wouldn’t budge.

(I carried a bolt & spanner with me the whole time so that I could gently nip it back up as soon as it started to move).

Bearing puller should do the trick without risking damaging anything else. The more exciting options (hitting, cutting, heating) are also the more dangerous ones !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Removing square taper cranks with stripped thread’ is closed to new replies.