Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Removing silicon sealant
  • z1ppy

The bath sealant has gone moldy and it seems is also leaking (water through the ceiling below), any tips for removing it?
    It curls round the edge of the bath (out of sight) and so won't 'just' pull out if you grab a bit, so far I've been left to dig it out with a stanley knife which is extremely slow and tedious, so any tip to remove it would be great.

AndyP
    Free Member

you can get some 'silicone eater' stuff but it's not wonderfully effective, you'll still end up digging away a bit.

jedi

scalpel blade

z1ppy

Didn't think there would be much that helped, but thought I'd best ask 1st, think I need to make a tool to help me remove it might be the best option.
    Have been ignoring the mold because it's such a crappy job, but the leak has pushed the g/f patience too far

tragically1969
    Free Member

I sympathise with you.

Mines gone the same, i really wonder in this world of high tech this and that why nobody can come up with a suitable way of sealing round a bath that does not rely on whats basically a posh type of glue.

wwaswas

I foudn those scrapers they sell to get paint off glass good (stanley knife blade holder, basically) but the silicone eater is ok to soften it up a bit if you give it time to work.

BigJohn

Run a layer of decorative tiles around the bath with loads of adhesive and grout. With or without one of those plastic seal things.

whyter

You can buy sealing strips which do the same job as the sealant. no idea if they are good or mould resistant.

A real pain to remove fully. I use a sharp Stanley knife blade to scrape it all off, and a blunt scraper thing. The silicone eater didn't work for me – and it was 3x as much as the replacement sealant!

jedi

or use the credit card method

pay someone to do it! 🙂

khani
    Free Member

you can buy a plastic scraper for removing silicon sealant from b+q thats shaped to go in corners, did our shower cubicle with one and it worked ok, less than a fiver iirc

z1ppy

😀 if I could afford that, I wouldn't have been asking (@ Jedi).

Hmm may have mouch @ B&Q on the way home then, cheers.

showerman
    Free Member

some of this

http://www.ct1ltd.com/multisolve.html to remove the old

http://www.ct1ltd.com/ct1.html this is magic can even be used under water

midgebait
    Free Member

After failing to scrape off some shower sealant I used silicone sealant remover from Wickes. Makes life a lot easier but don't get it on the hands unless you don't like your fingerprints!

footflaps

The bosch pmf 180e multi multi tool has a flexible blade for removing that sort of stuff.

Not tried it mind.

benman
    Free Member

And when you replace the sealant, make sure you buy decent silicon stuff! Did mine with cheapo wilko's own brand sealant, which was very stiff and went mouldy very quickly, so had to repeat the entire process again with decent stuff.

jedi

🙂 🙂 🙂

spooky_b329

I used the standard Screwfix anti-mould stuff…its gone mouldy, BUT only where it got marked by dripping water when it was going off, looks like someone dug their fingernails into it.

Rest of it is pefectly white, think it only cost £3 as well 🙂 Been there a year now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Removing silicon sealant’ is closed to new replies.