• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Removing seized cleat bolt from a Gore-Tex boot
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

HELP!
    I swear I greased the cleat bolts when I fitted them (a few years ago) but one of them is seized and I've rounded it off. I've drilled out bolts in the past, but now I've got Shimano MT90 boots with gore-tex liner, so if I drill them I won't be able to get the plate out to replace it. Doh!

Any suggestions? apart from new shoes…

gusamc
    Free Member

Can you drill the head off the bolt, cleat off, and then use mole grips etc or file sides off and ram a socket onto it to get the stub out

in conjunction with soaking in plus gas etc

rootes1

Plus gas, also try tightening the bolt first to get in moving before undoing

coatesy
    Free Member

If all else fails, i think they have two sets of cleat mounting holes, so you could use the others.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I ha this problem once, hacksaw and various other things to get the cleat off then pliers to unscrew the bolt. I now regularly remove and regrease the bolts.

nbt
    halfbee
    Free Member

4mm Drill and an easyout

igm

Screw extractor, easy out or back tap – all names for roughly the same thing. And if you've rounded an allen bolt you may not even need to drill it – though if you do go with something small to begin with (4mm will work if you're careful but 3mm won't hurt much) and let the dimple in the bottom of the allen bolt (most of them have one) guide it down the centre.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Removing seized cleat bolt from a Gore-Tex boot’ is closed to new replies.