Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Removing redundant brake bosses?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Hi all
    I’ve just acquired a Specialized HT frame and am going to be reconditioning it before building up as a lightweight 1 x 10sp. Question is:
    can I remove the old V-brake bosses without causing any issues? If I have to keep them it’s not the end of the world but I’d rather lose them if I can..
    Cheers
    Steve

bencooper
    Free Member

Steel? Aluminium?

Generally no problem angle-grinding them off, and tidying up with a file.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I’ve wondered this too but I’ve never got round to asking. On a Spesh FSR as it happens. And what about a Fox fork?

Are the v brake bosses just welded onto the seatstays without piercing them? How thick is the aluminium seatstay likely to be?

I kind of imagine that the welding might weaken the seatstay a bit but the brake boss reinforces it with the extra material, hence why I’ve thought it might not be a good idea. Just throwing it into the mix in case, I really don’t know.

Fork wise, maybe best not to given that they appear to be cast? Are they made of magnesium as well?

stevied
    Free Member

Its an aluminium rockhopper frame. Looks like they are just welded onto the searstay tube without piercing it…

higthepig
    Free Member

I took the rear ones off a Hardrock frame a few years ago, hacksaw followed by some filing smooth and you couldn’t tell they were missing after the re-spray. Bike frame still going strong now as my sons hack.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Removing redundant brake bosses?’ is closed to new replies.