Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Removing Race Face X type cranks
  • chunkychew
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of ’08 Race Face Deus XC X-type cranks and I need to remove them, but can’t.

I unscrewed the crank bolt on the drive side and expected to be able to pull the drive side crank off but couldn’t. So having done a little research, it seems most RF cranks come with a drive side “self extractor bolt” which pulls the crank off as you un-do it. Is this the case?

If so should my cranks have come with one (OEM on an early ’08 Trance X 1)? Can I buy one and fit it to remove my cranks?

Any help appreciated.
    Ta.

ski
    Free Member

Chunky, you should have on the drive side a 10mm extractor bolt, which covers the internal 8mm.

Idea being that you wind the 8mm against the 10mm to extract the crank.

andylux
    Free Member

On the 08’s there’d given up on the self extracting system, you need a standard isis crank extractor (£6) to remove the drive side from the axle.

Remove the outer 10mm cap, then the 8mm crank bolt, screw in crank extractor and wind inner bolt of extractor to push crank and rings off of the axle.

chunkychew
    Free Member

Hmm, I only have the 10mm cap/crank bolt? No 8mm anything in sight, although there is a thread for something else hidden away in there.

Presumably the ISIS crank extractor threads into this “other” thread that the 10mm cap/crank bolt doesn’t use?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Removing Race Face X type cranks’ is closed to new replies.